How to remove the Flash Media Start extension
Flash Media Start is a popular internet browser extension for Google Chrome that is promoted as a free tool to help you find information about movies, such as where you can watch movies online. While this may sound like a useful tool, the extension can gather and store your sensitive information.
Furthermore, the Flash Media Start extension modifies existing internet browser settings. It replaces the homepage, default search engine, and the page you see when opening a new tab with a new website. If you perform a search from the new website your search results will be redirected to search.yahoo.com. When a browser extension redirects your search results, it is usually done to track the things you search for and generate revenue through advertisements and the contents of search results.
The Flash Media Start extension for Google Chrome has permission to read and change all your data on the websites you visit, replace the page you see when opening a new tab, and read your browsing history. This means that the extension can basically observe your online activities and store sensitive information about you that makes up your digital fingerprint.
In order to protect your privacy and your computer, it is recommended to remove Flash Media Start and scan your computer for malware that may have been introduced alongside the Flash Media Start extension.
1. Open the Customize and control Google Chrome menu and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Find the Flash Media Start extension and click the Remove button to remove it.
3. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan your computer and remove malicious files and potentially unwanted programs.
4. To install the program, locate and double-click the executable file you just downloaded. The file can usually be found in the Download folder.
5. Choose if this is for home or work use and click Agree and Install to begin installing Malwarebytes. Once the installation is complete, click Finish.
6. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the program and click the Scan Now button on the dashboard – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
7. When the scan is complete click the Quarantine Selected button.
8. If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
9. Download HitmanPro to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining malicious trace files. A second-opinion scan is important when removing malware and malicious files from your computer.
10. To install the program, locate and double-click the executable file you just downloaded. The file can usually be found in the Download folder.
11. Once HitmanPro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may choose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
12. When the HitmanPro scan is complete, click the Next button.
13. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
14. Click the Reboot button.