The instructions on this page will help you remove the Flash App extension, viruses, malware, and repair corrupted browser and computer settings.
Table of Contents
What is Flash App?
Flash App is a malicious browser extension compatible with Google Chrome and other popular web browsers that is self-described as a browser tool that “configures your default search.” When the Flash App extension is installed it will replace existing internet browser settings in order to cause web searches to redirect to an affiliated website such as searchpowerapp.com. This causes web searches to redirect to searchpowerapp.com or another website, and then to a legitimate search engine such as search.yahoo.com.
The primary function of the Flash App extension is to harvest data from its users. One way the extension does this is by intercepting web searches. As previously mentioned, when a search is performed the web browser will redirect to an affiliated website and to a legitimate search engine. This is done in order to download tracking files on the user’s computer. It also gives the entity behind the extension a path to obtain what the user searches for before search results are shown on search.yahoo.com.
In addition, there are other ways that the extension can gather information about its users. For example, the Google Chrome extension has permission to read your browsing history and read and change your data across numerous websites. It can even read your browsing history while in incognito mode.
As you can see, the purpose of this browser extension is to mask itself as a simple search tool in order to obtain large amounts of user information which may include personal information and data collected from social media profiles.
One of the biggest issues with the Flash App extension is how it is distributed and promoted. The extension is advertised by malicious adverting networks that present various issues. For starters, malicious advertising networks may utilize unethical, aggressive, and deceptive advertisements to promote the extension. Some advertisements may claim that Flash App is something it is not to trick users into installing it and some may attempt to force users to install it
Furthermore, malicious advertising networks also generate advertisements that promote and host viruses, malware, adware, spyware, miners, and other serious threats. This is a concern because these advertisements may be shown alongside or in place of advertisements that promote the Flash App extension.
How to remove Flash App (Virus Removal Guide)
The Flash App browser extension can be manually removed through internet browser settings. However, removing the browser extension within the settings will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware from an infected computer, we recommend scanning the computer with a reputable security program such as Malwarebytes Premium or Malwarebytes Free. Follow the free removal guide on this page to remove the Flash App extension and use reputable antivirus software to remove malware from your computer.
How to remove the Flash App extension
1. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions
2. Click the Remove button
1. Open the menu and go to Add-ons
2. Click the Remove button
How to remove malware and viruses
1. Download and install Malwarebytes from their website. Malwarebytes will seamlessly guide you through the quick installation process.
2. When Malwarebytes is installed, click the blue Scan button to begin scanning your computer for malware and potentially unwanted programs. The scan may take several minutes to complete depending on how many files are on your device.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.