How to download videos in Facebook messages and Facebook Messenger
Learn how to download videos sent to you in Facebook messages on your desktop or in the Facebook Messenger app on your smartphone.
You’d be surprised but there are not many tutorials that correctly explain how to download videos sent to you in Facebook messages or in the Facebook messenger app on the internet. Even popular websites get the instructions wrong and many websites suggest to download third-party apps, browser extensions, and programs that can invade your privacy or are just unnecessary. The truth is, you don’t have to download an app, a program, or a browser extension to be able to download videos in Facebook messages.
Perhaps someone sent you a funny or interesting video via Facebook Messenger that you want to download but you can’t figure out how to download it. After all, there is no option to download the video to your phone or computer.
Are you looking for a way to download videos sent to you in messages in the Facebook Messenger app? Here’s how to do it:
From Facebook Messenger (Phone)
1. Open the Facebook Messenger app, and locate the video you want to download.
2. Hold down on the video with your finger until the face emojis and other options menu appears.
3. In the options menu, select Save to Facebook.
4. Open the Facebook app on your phone.
5. Click the hamburger button (3 bar button/toggle menu button) and go to Saved.
6. Find the recently saved video in the list and click the ellipsis (3 dots) next to it.
7. Depending on your device you have two options:
A. Click Copy link to save the video link and visit the link in your browser. The video will automatically download once you visit the link.
B. Click the video itself and select to open the video in your browser. The video will automatically download.
C. If you want to save the video to your computer from your phone, click Copy link and email or message (using another messaging app) the link to yourself and open it from your computer to initiate the download.
8. You can find the video in the gallery on your phone once it has been downloaded or in the Download folder on your computer if you choose to download the video onto your computer instead.
From your computer (Desktop)
2. Go to Messenger (https://www.facebook.com/messages/) and find the video you want to download.
3. Using your mouse, left-click the video for a few seconds until the video pop-ups up in a new black window.
4. Click Download in the top left of the video to download the video to your computer.