- Chromnius is software that often automatically installs in the background when you install other apps like uTorrent.
- Chromnius may utilize confusing advertisements.
- This webpage includes instructions to remove this software, malware, spyware, and viruses from your computer or mobile device.
- This webpage answers questions like “what is Chromnius, how did Chromnius get on my computer, and how to remove Chromnius?”
Chromium is an open-source browser project where you can build and work with Chromium source code. In short, developers can use the Chromium source code to create a browser alike the popular Google Chrome web browser and that is exactly what Chromnius is.
In some cases, “unknown” third parties like the ones who created Chromnius may utilize the Chromium source code in order to create a browser that appears like Google Chrome for multiple purposes:
- To show advertisements.
- To show promoted search results.
- To gather user information.
- To redirect you to another website.
In many cases, some versions of Chromium are malicious or potentially malicious due to their behavior and possibilities. However, at this current time, Chromnius is not detected by reputable Antivirus vendors as shown by VirusTotal.
What is Chromnius?
Chromnius, by Dragon Boss Solutions LLC, is an unknown version of Chromium created by a third-party unrelated to Google. The software has a primary website in which it is advertised as a fast, secure, and smart web browser that blocks pop-up ads and trackers.
When you scroll down further on the page it contains text that says their product keeps you safe and secure online by automatically protecting you from security issues like phishing and dangerous sites.
We decided to test these claims so we used the product to see if it would block advertisements on our own website and it blocked them all but left an empty overlay and drastically decreased page load speeds.
Blocking legitimate advertisements served from Google is quite easy to do so we ran another test on a known phishing website that displays malicious advertisements and this is where Chromnius failed to recognize the website as malicious and block advertisements. While using Chromnius we were able to visit phishing websites that served pop-up advertisements.
Although the publisher promotes the product as a web browser on their webpage the software is often advertised as something it is not. For example, in the advertisement shown to us, Chromnius is promoted to us as a required browser update although it clearly is not required nor an update for the browser we were using. The advertisement shown to us says “Browser Update Required” in red text and contains buttons, one that says Download and another that says Final Step. But, you don’t need to click on any of the buttons to download this program. When we clicked on the side of the page a file named ChromSetup was downloaded into our Downloads folder.
The ChromSetup file is used to install Chromnius and is titled in such a way that we suspect some users may assume this file is associated with Chrome.
How to remove Chromnius
These are 6 ways to remove Chromnius and additional malware, and viruses from your computer and mobile device.
1. Use Start Menu
- Right-click Windows Start Menu and select Apps & features.
- Find Chromnius in the list, click on it, and click Uninstall from the flyout menu.
- Click Uninstall on the prompt to confirm.
2. Use Settings
- Press Windows + I to open settings and select Apps from the tabs listed on the left pane.
- Click on Apps & features on the right.
- Find Chromnius in the list, click on the ellipsis (3 dots) next to it, and click Uninstall from the flyout menu.
- Click Uninstall on the prompt to confirm.
3. Use Run Command
- Press Windows + R to launch the Run command dialogue box, type appwiz.cpl in the text field, and click OK to launch the Programs and Features window.
- Find Chromnius in the list, click it, and click Uninstall when it appears above.
- Click Yes on the prompt to confirm.
4. Use uninstaller software
Although the default app removal procedures normally work to remove unwanted programs there may be cases when files are left behind, the Windows registry becomes corrupted, or other issues arise. And because of this, we recommend using third-party uninstaller software. But not just any third-party uninstaller, one that can repair your computer and make sure everything is running smoothly, such as CCleaner.
- Download and install CCleaner.
- Launch CCleaner once installed and go to the Tools tab on the left pane.
- Go to the Uninstall tab on the second pane, find Chromnius in the list, click it, and click Uninstall on the right pane.
- Once the program is uninstalled go to the Registry tab on the left pane and click Scan for Issues.
- When the scan is complete click Review selected Issues.
- A prompt will appear that asks you if you want to make a backup of the registry before making changes, it is not necessary, but we advise you to click Yes to make a backup and save it where you will remember it.
- Next, click Fix All Selected Issues and click Close.
5. Use an Antivirus
- Download and install Malwarebytes.
- Launch Malwarebytes and click Scan to scan your computer for malware and viruses.
- When finished, click the Quarantine button to remove all selected threats.
- Restart your computer to complete the process.
6. Perform a System Restore
Press Windows + S to open Windows Search, enter “create a restore point” in the text field, and click Create a restore point in the search results.
- Click the System Restore button.
- Select the recommended restore point or manually chose another one on the list and click Next to proceed.
- If you chose another restore point on the list, you will be shown other restore points, select one, and click Next.
- Verify the details and click Finish to begin the System Restore process.