If you notice makeprogress.ga referral traffic mixed in with your Google Analytics data it means your Google Analytics account is being targeted with referrer spam. If you are targeted by referrer spam Google recommends to create an exclude filter in order to block makeprogress.ga and websites like it from ruining your Google Analytics reports.
Makeprogress.ga referrer spam is designed to gain your attention and provoke you to visit the URL in your web browser. The makeprogress.ga website contains various links to work-from-home and survey websites. These websites are often linked to advance-fee fraud, survey-scams, and phishing attacks. There are other similar domain names that also spam Google Analytical reports, including getrichquick.ml and getrichquickly.info.
Why is makeprogress.ga spamming my website?
The reason why makeprogress.ga is spamming your website’s Google Analytics data is to get your attention and persuade you to visit the URL in your web browser. As previously mentioned, the website contains various links to additional work-from-home and survey websites that do not appear to be trustworthy.
Referrer spammers typically target your website’s data for several reasons:
- Referrer spammers want to promote a website and want you to visit the webpage or search for it online through Google search engine results pages.
- Referrer spammers want to boost their rank on Google search engine results pages by creating backlinks. They do this by logging requests into your website’s access log, which is then crawled by Google’s indexing bots and seen as a backlink to the spam site.
Is makeprogress.ga referral spam harmful?
Makeprogress.ga referral spam is not essentially harmful to your website and it will not affect your rank in Google Search Results Pages; However, if you do not block makeprogress.ga spam from accessing your account it can ruin the data collected in your Google Analytics reports. For example, makeprogress.ga referrals will appear to land on a single webpage on your website and leave from the same website, which will create a 100% bounce rate. If your website is targeted by referrer spammers you may not be able to identify your website’s bounce rate. The same can be said about other data measured in most Google Analytics reports.
How to block makeprogress.ga referral traffic
1. Open your Google Analytics account and go to the Admin tab. Click All Filters on the left side.
2. Click the + ADD FILTER button to create a new filter.
3. Add makeprogress.ga or something else that you can remember as the Filter Name. If you plan to add more spam URLs to the list you can name the list something like “Referrer Spam Filter.”
4. Select the Custom Filter Type from the two options.
5. In Filter Field Field select Campaign Source.
6. In the Filter Pattern box, add makeprogress.ga and click the blue Save button on the bottom of the webpage. To add multiple URLs to the same filter you can make a Filter Pattern similar to this with a | between each URL: example.com | example.com | makeprogress.ga
Makeprogress.ga WHOIS information
inetnum: 184.108.40.206 - 220.127.116.11 netname: OVH descr: OVH SAS descr: Cloud infrastructure descr: http://www.ovh.com country: FR admin-c: OK217-RIPE tech-c: OTC2-RIPE status: ASSIGNED PA mnt-by: OVH-MNT created: 2011-09-14T13:02:58Z last-modified: 2011-09-14T13:02:58Z source: RIPE # Filtered role: OVH Technical Contact address: OVH SAS address: 2 rue Kellermann address: 59100 Roubaix address: France admin-c: OK217-RIPE tech-c: GM84-RIPE tech-c: SL10162-RIPE nic-hdl: OTC2-RIPE abuse-mailbox: email@example.com mnt-by: OVH-MNT created: 2004-01-28T17:42:29Z last-modified: 2014-09-05T10:47:15Z source: RIPE # Filtered person: Octave Klaba address: OVH SAS address: 2 rue Kellermann address: 59100 Roubaix address: France phone: +33 9 74 53 13 23 nic-hdl: OK217-RIPE abuse-mailbox: firstname.lastname@example.org mnt-by: OVH-MNT created: 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z last-modified: 2010-10-05T08:51:16Z source: RIPE # Filtered route: 18.104.22.168/15 descr: OVH ISP descr: Paris, France origin: AS16276 mnt-by: OVH-MNT created: 2010-01-19T16:39:43Z last-modified: 2010-01-19T16:39:43Z source: RIPE # Filtered