Apptab is an unwanted browser extension that invades your privacy, hijacks internet browser settings, and bundles with malware, adware, spyware, and viruses.
Table of Contents
What is Apptab?
Apptab is a browser extension compatible with Google Chrome and other popular web browsers that is self-described as a tool for your browser that “lets you quickly search the web from your address bar by configuring Default Search settings.” Despite the fact that the extension may appear to be an innocuous tool, Apptab is arranged to complete functions that internet users may consider intrusive and malicious.
The primary function of the Apptab extension is to intercept and obtain what users search for online. As shown in the image above, the extension has permission to read and change data on websites such as bing.com, google.com, yahoo.com, and ch.notics.xyz. This allows the extension to track what a user searches for on popular search engines. Furthermore, the extension also has permission to read browsing history even while a user is in incognito mode.
Bundles with malware and viruses
One of the biggest issues with the Apptab extension is that it may bundle with and/or be advertised by malicious advertising networks that spread malware, adware, browser hijackers, spyware, computer viruses, and other security threats. Simply put, it is possible that your computer is infected with malware due to how the extension is distributed.
Speaking of how the extension is distributed, the Apptab extension is most often promoted by deceptive advertisements that promote it as something it isn’t and aggressive advertisements that force and pester users to install it. It can be downloaded through these advertisements and from the developer’s website and Google Web Store.
How to remove Apptab (Virus Removal Guide)
The Apptab browser extension can be manually removed through internet browser settings. However, removing the browser extension within the settings will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware from an infected computer, we recommend scanning the computer with a reputable security program such as Malwarebytes Premium or Malwarebytes Free. Follow the free removal guide on this page to remove the Apptab extension and use reputable antivirus software to remove malware from your computer.
How to remove the Apptab extension
1. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions
2. Click the Remove button
1. Open the menu and go to Add-ons
2. Click the Remove button
How to remove malware and viruses
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.