What is Addonsearch.net virus?
Addonsearch.net virus is a term used to identify a specific browser hijacker infection that is typically the result of a potentially malicious browser extension native to or somehow affiliated to the website. The browser extension in cooperation with the website is known to modify existing internet browser settings including the startup page, new tab page, and default search engine. When the startup page is changed, the affected web browser will start on the website as opposed to the normal starting page and when the default search engine is modified unwanted browser redirections to addonsearch.net may occur when a search is performed in the address bar.
The purpose of the addonsearch.net website and affiliated browser attachment is to intercept what you search for online. For example, when you search the web you will be redirected to addonsearch.net and then to another website such as Google, Bing, or Yahoo. This is done in order to obtain the searched term and drop tracking files on your computer before sending you to a suitable search engine to remain undetected.
Browser add-ons and extensions affiliated with the website may have permissions that allow them to perform tasks that users may find undesirable. The affiliated web attachments may read your browsing history, read and change your data on all sites, change your search settings, and much more. In addition, the attachments can read your personal data even if you are in incognito mode which is meant for privacy.
How to remove Addonsearch.net (Virus Removal Guide)
The instructions on this page explain how to remove the Addonsearch.net virus and stop unwanted browser redirects to Addonsearch.net and other websites.
Remove browser attachments
Browser add-ons and extensions may have permissions that allow them to perform tasks users may find unwanted. We recommend that you check for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions on each internet browser installed on your computer. If you find a suspicious browser add-on or extensions make sure to disable and remove it.
1. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions
2. Click the Remove button
1. Open the menu and go to Add-ons
2. Click the Remove button
Scan your computer for malware and viruses
Malware, adware, spyware, ransomware, potentially unwanted programs, and viruses may be present on your computer. We recommend that you scan your computer with Malwarebytes to detect and remove known threats.
1. Download and install Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes will seamlessly guide you through the quick installation process.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the blue Scan button to begin scanning your computer for malware, viruses, and potentially unwanted programs. The scan may take several minutes to complete.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot your computer.
Tracking files allow bad guys to track you online and changes to the Windows registry can cause numerous problems. Clean up your computer’s registry, remove tracking files, and remove junk files from your computer with CCleaner by Piriform.
1. Download and install CCleaner. CCleaner will seamlessly guide you through the quick installation process.
2. Once CCleaner is installed, click the Take my PC Health Check button or go to Health Check > Next and follow the instructions to begin checking your PC’s health.
3. When the scan is complete, click Make it better button to remove trackers, remove junk files, disable startup apps, and more.
4. Go to Registry and click Scan for Issues to check your computer for registry issues.
5. When the scan is complete, click Fix selected Issues, backup the registry, and click Fix Issue or Fix All Issues.