How to remove Your Maps Now (Removal Guide)
This Your Maps Now removal & help guide contains instructions to remove Your Maps Now, viruses, malware, and other threats from your PC and stay protected from future infections.
Your Maps Now Removal & Help Guide
Your Maps Now (also searched for as Your Maps Now virus) is promoted as a free browser extension that can help you find online maps in a few simple clicks. However, once the Your Maps Now extension is installed it will take-over your internet browser and replace your search settings with http://search.yourmapsnow.com/.
As previously mentioned, once the extension is installed it will replace your search settings with http://search.yourmapsnow.com/. This will cause your internet browser to start-up on the website and redirect to the website when you search the web using the address bar or open a new browser window.
To make matters worse, the Your Maps Now extension for Google Chrome can read and change all your data on the websites you visit, read and change your browsing history, manage your downloads, and manage your apps, extensions, and themes. This is all unnecessary just to show you online maps.
- Advertisements in your web browser and Windows desktop
- Modified browser homepage, shortcut, new tab page, and default search engine
- Slow and sluggish computer
- Decreased internet speed and browser performance
- Promoted on websites that advertise or host malware and potentially malicious files
Your Maps Now (Virus Removal Guide)
Follow each step in this Your Maps Now removal guide to remove Your Maps Now and other threats from your computer.
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Perform a second-opinon scan with HitmanPro
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall unwanted programs from Windows
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for Your Maps Now in the list of installed programs and double click it to initiate the manual uninstall process.
4. Once you have uninstalled Your Maps Now, search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove Your Maps Now extension
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
How to stay protected against future infections
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
Common Online Guidelines
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know