How to remove Yahoo Powered (Virus Removal Guide)
Yahoo Powered (also known as Yahoo Powered virus, Yahoo! Powered) is included in the potentially unwanted program (PUP) detection category by reputable Antivirus programs. The Yahoo Powered program is used to modify existing internet browser settings and install rogue browser extensions to affected web browsers.
Yahoo Powered will modify the homepage, new tab page, and search engine of affected web browsers with its own search engine (such as search.yahoo.com or other). This will cause affected web browsers to start-up on an unwanted website and redirect to the website when a new tab is opened or search is performed in the address bar.
To make matters worse, the Yahoo Powered program usually installs without user consent or knowledge and alongside other potentially unwanted programs, adware, spyware, malware, and computer viruses (including PCAcceleratePro).
In some instances, the Yahoo Powered program is offered as a custom installation by freeware and other downloadable content such as media codecs, media players, and software or browser updates; However, the installation process will not allow the user to reject Yahoo Powered from installing as the user requested and the program will install anyways.
The instructions on this page explain how to remove Yahoo Powered, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer.
1. Remove Yahoo Powered with Malwarebytes
- Open your browser window and download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Open the executable file (mb3-setup.exe) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
2. Remove remaining files with HitmanPro
- Open your browser window and download HitmanPro.
- Open the executable file (hitmanpro_x64.exe or hitmanpro_x32.exe) to begin installing HitmanPro.
- Click the Next button, check “I accept the terms of the license agreement,” and click the Next button again.
- On the Setup page select “Yes, create a copy of HitmanPro so I can regularly scan this computer (recommended)” and add your email address to the registration fields to begin the free trial.
- Click Next to begin scanning your computer.
- Once the Scan results are displayed click the Next button and click the Next button again on the Removal results page.
3. Clean up and fix issues with CCleaner
- Open your browser window and download CCleaner Professional or CCleaner Free.
- Open the executable file (ccsetup.exe or other) to begin installing CCleaner.
- Click the Install button to begin stalling the program.
- Click Run CCleaner to open the program when installation is complete.
- Select the Cleaner tab and click the Analyze button.
- When the Analyze process is complete click the Run Cleaner button to clean all files.
- Next, select the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button to scan for issues in your registry.
- When the scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues button and Fix All Selected Issues button to fix the issues.
- Next, select the Tools tab and click Startup. Examine each area, search for suspicious entries, and delete any suspicious startup entries by selecting the entry and clicking the Delete button.
- Next, click Browser Plugins and search each internet browser for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions. Click the extension you want to delete and click the Delete button to remove it.