How to remove Yahoo for Chrome (Removal Guide)
Yahoo for Chrome is the title of a legitimate Google Chrome browser extension published by Yahoo. The Yahoo for Chrome extension is essentially safe; However, many might find it misleading and the tactics and promotion involved with the Yahoo for Chrome extension are identical to that of unwanted programs, adware, browser hijackers, and even some malicious programs. In my opinion if not for being published by Yahoo this browser extension would be considered malicious by more reputable sources since it is exactly the same as other browser extensions that are widely considered malicious or potentially malicious.
Some could even argue that Yahoo for Chrome is more malicious and deceptive since the extension has a large amount of aggressive permissions which might exceed permissions set by malicious browser extensions.
For example, the Yahoo for Chrome extension has permission to read and change your data on all flickr.com sites, all staticflickr.com sites, and all yahoo.com sites. It also has permission to read a list of your most frequently visited websites, change your search settings to: search.yahoo.com, and read and change your bookmarks.
Browser extensions that are malicious usually don’t even have this amount of permissions or permissions that are this aggressive and intrusive. The Ultimate Cloud extension for Google Chrome which is recognized as malicious only has permission to read and change your data on the websites you visit and change your search settings to: ultimatecloud.org.
The Yahoo for Chrome extension is also advertised on malicious websites, illegal websites, and websites that contain prohibited content. We were able to locate and ad for Yahoo for Chrome on an illegal media streaming webpage alongside advertisements that promoted rogue software, adware, and malware. This could additionally mean that if you find Yahoo for Chrome installed on Chrome without your consent it is likely that malware has infected your computer since Yahoo for Chrome may be advertised alongside malicious software.
If Yahoo for Chrome has installed onto Google Chrome without your knowledge we recommend that you remove Yahoo for Chrome from Chrome, uninstall any unwanted programs, scan your computer for malware, and repair any leftover settings that may have been corrupted with a reputable tool.
Yahoo for Chrome Removal Guide
- How to remove Yahoo for Chrome from Google Chrome
- How to uninstall potentially unwanted programs
- How to scan your computer for malware
- How to cleanup and repair corrupted settings
How to remove Yahoo for Chrome from Google Chrome
Go to Customize and control Google Chrome > More tools > Extensions and click the trash can icon next to the Yahoo for Chrome extension to remove it.
How to uninstall potentially unwanted programs
Go to Start Menu > Control Panel > Uninstall a program (or Add and remove programs) and double click the program you want to uninstall to remove it.
How to scan your computer for malware
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
6. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
7. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
8. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
9. Click the Reboot button.
How to cleanup and repair corrupted settings
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected.