WowMovix (Removal Guide)
WowMovix is the name of several browser add-ons and extensions including WowMovix Start and Search by WowMovix. You probably do not want to find these browser add-ons and extensions attached to your browser. Once WowMovix extensions have been installed they will replace your homepage, new tab page, and default search engine with movix.searchalgo.com. When this happens your internet searches will redirect to the website and your browser will start-up on the website when you open a new browser window or open a new browser tab.
Browser attachments like these are typically recognized as malicious or “potentially unwanted.” They can trick you into installing them and can pose a threat to your security. They are also promoted alongside and may bundle with other unwanted programs and malware. If you have found WowMovix extensions installed onto your affected browser without your permission it is recommended to scan your computer with a reputable tool to locate and remove WowMovix and other threats that may be causing issues.
Associated browser extensions are known to be intrusive. They can read and change all your data on the websites you visit and perform other undesirable tasks that may put your privacy at risk.
WowMovix Distribution Method
WowMovix is similar to most adware in the ways it is distributed. The adware primarily bundles with other programs that are downloaded by the user with out without consent. This usually happens if a user downloads a program or file from a questionable online distributor. Downloading items online such as freeware and torrent files might result in potentially unwanted programs, malware, and adware infecting the user’s system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy, if you download and install it from a malicious website it could lead to an infection.
If the computer user has previously downloaded a malicious program, WowMovix adware could have been downloaded in the background without permission of the user. The user might also be tricked into accepting the download under the guise of a program update. Malicious authors often hide the download behind a terms and conditions page, effectively tricking users into downloading adware. In some instances WowMovix may be advertised as an extension to improve the user’s browsing experience in order to encourage a direct download. Regardless of how the system was infected, removal remains relatively unchanged.
|Name||WowMovix, WowMovix virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Publisher’s Description||WowMovix Start is a new Chrome extension for a quick movies,trailers and actress click-and-visit experience.|
|Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to movix.searchalgo.com and other sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Quick Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malwarebytes|
WowMovix (Removal Guide)
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall WowMovix and unwanted programs
- Remove WowMovix extension
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove this adware is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove this adware is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall WowMovix and unwanted programs
The third step to remove this adware is to uninstall WowMovix and other unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for WowMovix Supporting Application in the list and double click it.
4. Once you have uninstalled WowMovix, search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove WowMovix extension
The fourth step to remove this adware is to remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the WowMovix extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the WowMovix add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the WowMovix add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the WowMovix extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove this adware is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.