Windows PC Backup Wizard Information
Windows PC Backup Wizard virus is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that claims to be a free computer backup program. The program may work as promoted; However, the way the program tries to convince you to install it is a red flag. It may also be promoted alongside and bundle with other unwanted programs and malware. This means that if you find this program installed on your computer without your knowledge it is likely that your computer has additional threats that should be removed.
Windows PC Backup Wizard Distribution Method
Windows PC Backup Wizard primarily bundles with other programs that are downloaded by the user with out without consent. The most common way this happens is by downloading a program or file from a questionable distributor. Downloading items online such as freeware and torrent files will result in potentially unwanted programs infecting the user’s system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy, downloading it from a malicious site will lead to infection.
If the computer user has previously downloaded a malicious program, Windows PC Backup Wizard could have been downloaded in the background without permission of the user. The user might also be tricked into accepting the download under the guise of a program update. Malicious authors often hide the download behind a terms and conditions page, effectively tricking users into downloading adware. In some instances PC Backup Wizard may be advertised as an extension to improve the user’s browsing experience in order to encourage a direct download. Regardless of how the system was infected, removal remains relatively unchanged.
Windows PC Backup Wizard Details
|Name||Windows PC Backup Wizard, PC Backup Wizard, PC Backup Wizard virus|
|Detection Categories||Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Description||Protect your documents, folders, movies, videos, pictures and more automatically!|
|Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Common Path(s)||C:\Program Files (x86)
|Quick Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malwarebytes|
Windows PC Backup Wizard (Virus Removal Instructions)
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall PC Backup Wizard and unwanted programs
- Remove PC Backup Wizard extension
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove Windows PC Backup Wizard is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove Windows PC Backup Wizard is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall PC Backup Wizard and unwanted programs
The third step to remove Windows PC Backup Wizard is to uninstall PC Backup Wizard and other unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for PC Backup Wizard Supporting Application in the list and double click it.
4. Once you have uninstalled PC Backup Wizard, search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove PC Backup Wizard extension
The fourth step to remove Windows PC Backup Wizard is to remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the PC Backup Wizard extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the PC Backup Wizard add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the PC Backup Wizard add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the PC Backup Wizard extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove Windows PC Backup Wizard is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.