What is WikiBrowser?
WikiBrowser (also searched for as WikiBrowser virus, Wiki Browser) is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that continually serves advertisements to you while you browse the internet. Ads displayed by this potentially unwanted program arrive in a variety of ad styles and will usually say Ads by WikiBrowser, WikiBrowser Ads, or brought by WikiBrowser on them. WikiBrowser is typically offered as a custom or sponsored program by third-party download managers and software bundlers.
What is WikiBrowser?
WikiBrowser is regularly promoted as an alternative internet browser that can compete with the likes of Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It is also advertised as a web browser add-on that can help you search for items on Wikipedia.
Potential WikiBrowser malware generates pop-up advertisements across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari internet browsers. Ads by WikiBrowser are defined as ‘targeted’ advertisements because the style of advertisements need to use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit, bookmarks, and browser history) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you based off of your current and past browsing activities and habits.
WikiBrowser adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove WikiBrowser if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
How did WikiBrowser get on my computer?
WikiBrowser and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. WikiBrowser is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that WikiBrowser adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
[fancy_box title=”WikiBrowser overview”]
- WikiBrowser bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- WikiBrowser is usually bundled inside third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious torrent files.
- WikiBrowser injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- WikiBrowser makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program is disabled it will enable itself.
How to remove WikiBrowser virus
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Option 1: Automatically remove WikiBrowser virus with Malwarebytes
- Option 2: Manually remove WikiBrowser
- Option 3: Call Tech Support 1-888-986-8411
Option 1: Automatically remove WikiBrowser virus with Malwarebytes
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems you may face.
2. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “WikiBrowser” removal tool[/button]
3. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
4. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
5. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
6. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing WikiBrowser we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove WikiBrowser.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove WikiBrowser
How to uninstall WikiBrowser
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for WikiBrowser in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click WikiBrowser to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find WikiBrowser in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove WikiBrowser below.[/note]
How to remove WikiBrowser add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the WikiBrowser extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the WikiBrowser add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the WikiBrowser extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find WikiBrowser in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove WikiBrowser below.[/note]
WikiBrowser virus removal tips
- If you do not find WikiBrowser in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing WikiBrowser you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.
- If you need help our tech support team is standing by 24 hours a day. You can reach tech support at: 1-888-986-8411