How to remove Widthie (Virus Removal Guide)
How to remove Widthie (Virus Removal Guide)
Widthie (also searched for as the Widthie virus) is a spyware type add-on and extension for popular internet browsers including Google Chrome. Once the Widthie extension has been installed it will display the width of the webpage you are viewing in an animated gray bar at the top of a a webpage on an open internet browser window. The “width bar” that appears at the top of a webpage is gray in color, it will appear when you open a new browser window, visit a new webpage, or open a new browser tab, and it will disappear within a few seconds.
What is Widthie?
The Widthie extension is promoted as a free browser attachment that allows you to “instantly know the screen width.” Once installed it will display the width of the current webpage. It will typically display the width in this type or format: Width: 1366
Widthie is a very big issue for internet users. It is often the sign of a serious computer infection because it primarily bundles with potentially unwanted programs, adware, and very severe forms of malware.
Adware that bundles with Widthie generates very intrusive pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. The advertisements the adware displays are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you based off your current and past browsing habits.
Widthie is not technically defined as a computer virus but this questionable browser extension is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove Widthie if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
How did Widthie get on my computer?
Widthie and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. Widthie is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that Widthie adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files. There is never a custom option to accept or decline this browser attachment from installing.
[fancy_box title=”Widthie overview”]
- Widthie bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- Widthie is usually bundled inside installers and downloaders distributed as dubious torrents or as freeware programs distributed by websites similar to download.com and softonic.com.
- The Widthie extension for Google Chrome has permission to read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
How to remove Widthie virus
[frame_box] For Tech Support Call:
Option 1: Automatically remove Widthie virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to remove Widthie and malware that it bundles with.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “Widthie” removal tool[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing Widthie we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove Widthie.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove Widthie
How to uninstall Widthie
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for Widthie in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click Widthie to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find Widthie in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove Widthie below.[/note]
How to remove Widthie add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Widthie extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Widthie add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Widthie extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find Widthie in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove Widthie below.[/note]
Widthie virus removal tips
- If you do not find Widthie in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing Widthie you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.