How to remove WeWatcher (Virus Removal Guide)
Reputable computer and internet security programs have determined that WeWatcher is adware. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software detects this program as PUP.Optional.WeWatcherProxy. The program is also known as WeWatcherProxy or the “WeWatcher virus.” A common path for WeWatcher is C:\Program Files\sysfiles\wewatcherproxy.exe. WeWatcher is defined as a Layered Service Provider hijacker (or LSP hijacker). Since this program is a LSP hijacker it will modify your existing internet browser settings and essentially hijack your homepage, default search engine, new tab settings, and browser shortcut. In turn, this will cause affected internet browsers to start-up on suspicious webpages and redirect to suspicious webpages when a search is performed in the address bar or a new tab or browser window is opened.
WeWatcher primarily bundles with and downloads alongside other adware, potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), and malware. If you find WeWatcher on your computer, notice a process or file called WeWatcher.exe running; it is likely that your computer has become infected with other objects.
WeWatcher is easy to remove with help of Anti-Malware software. There is no realistic need to remove WeWatcher adware with multiple programs. A single Anti-Malware product can remove this program from your computer; However, since this program bundles with other objects we recommend to use a second-opinion scanner to detect and remove left-over malicious files that may not have been initially detected and removed. All of this is can be accomplished with the use of free software, of course.
Furthermore, WeWatcher may bundle with programs that can be manually uninstalled and browser attachments that can be manually removed. In order to ensure that your computer is clean and safe we also recommend to manually uninstall any program that may have bundled with WeWatcher and remove additional browser attachments.
WeWatcher Removal Guide
WeWatcher usually cannot be uninstalled manually from your computer, but you can end the process and remove the files in the folder. We have provided several steps below the article to show you how remove WeWatcher and other threats. To make sure your PC is completely clean and your information is protected from cyber criminals, we recommend that you follow all the steps below.
Step 1: Uninstall unwanted programs from Windows
Follow the instructions to uninstall unwanted programs that may bundle with WeWatcher from your Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computer. If you do not find an unwanted program installed on your computer but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Open Windows Start or Task menu and go to the Control Panel (or directly to Programs and Features).
2. In the “Programs” section click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove programs).
3. Search for unwanted and suspicious programs in the list of installed programs (like MixVideoPlayer) and double click the program you want to remove to uninstall it. You can also select the program with your mouse and click the Uninstall button once it appears. A general tip is to click “Installed On” to locate any programs that installed around the same time.
Step 2: Remove unwanted browser attachments
Follow the instructions to remove unwanted add-ons and extensions, as well as other attachments that may bundle with WeWatcher from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer & Edge, and Apple Safari. If you do not find unwnated attachments installed on your internet browser but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 3: Remove PUP.Optional.WeWatcherProxy with Malwarebytes
Follow the instructions to remove PUP.Optional.WeWatcherProxy with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
Step 4: Remove WeWatcher with HitmanPro
Follow the instructions to remove WeWatcher with HitmanPro second-opinion software.
1. Download and install HitmanPro second opinion scanner and removal tool.
3. Once Hitman Pro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button again to delete any threats or traces on your system.
5. If you are initially using the free version, to activate it, enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
6. Restart your computer by selecting Reboot.
Step 5: Clean and repair your computer with CCleaner
Follow the instructions to clean your computer and repair your computer’s settings.
2. Once installed, open the program and go to the main Cleaner screen and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries. If you find any thing suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Finally, go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.