How to remove Ultimate Social (Removal Guide)
Remove Ultimate Social (Removal Guide)
Ultimate Social (also searched for as Ultimate Social virus or Ultimate Social search virus) is the title of several browser plugins including Ultimate Social Search and Search By Ultimate Social for Google Chrome. The Ultimate Social browser extension is used to change the homepage (startpage) and default search engine of affected internet browsers. In turn, the Ultimate Social extension will cause affected internet browsers to redirect to ultimatesocial.org, bing.com, and other webpages when you search the web using the browser address bar, open a new browser tab, or open a new browser window.
Although this browser extension is often referred to as the “Ultimate Social virus” it is not technically defined as computer viruses or malware. The extension is essentially categorized by internet security products and malware analysts as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that engages in misleading marketing tactics and hijack internet browser settings and direct users to sponsored search engines.
- What is Ultimate Social?
- How to uninstall Ultimate Social
- How to remove Ultimate Social with Malwarebytes
- Ultimate Social removal tips
What is Ultimate Social?
Ultimate Social is promoted as free browser extensions that allows you to allegedly “conveniently connect to all your favorite social networks.” However, advertisement may promote this plugin as a fake java update.
Ultimate Social and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. Ultimate Social is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that Ultimate Social may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
Many victims have complained of unwanted pop-up ads caused by third-party adware. Adware associated with Ultimate Social display ‘targeted’ style advertisements. This means that the adware will manufacture advertisements based off of your personal browsing data, such as your bookmarks and history.
As previously mentioned, Ultimate Social is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware type program and browser plugin is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove Ultimate Social if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
- Ultimate Social Search bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- Ultimate Social Search is usually bundled inside or advertised by third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious java updates.
- Adware that may arrive alongside Ultimate Social Search injects the webpages you visit with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- Ultimate Social Search changes existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks allowing the plugin and associated programs to run every time Windows starts.
- Ultimate Social Search will launch at system startup and continue to run in the background even once Google Chrome is closed.
- The Search By Ultimate Social extension for Google Chrome can read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
- The Search By Ultimate Social extension for Google Chrome can communicate with cooperating websites.
- The Search By Ultimate Social extension for Google Chrome will change your search settings to: ultimatesocial.org, bing.com, and other webpages.
How to uninstall Ultimate Social
1. Open Windows Start/Task Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for Ultimate Social in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click Ultimate Social to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find Ultimate Social in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it.[/note]
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for Ultimate Social Search in the list and click the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Ultimate Social Search add-on and click Remove next to it.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Ultimate Social Search extension in the list and click the Uninstall button next to it.
How to remove Ultimate Social with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.Download Malwarebytes
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
Ultimate Social removal tips
- If you do not find Ultimate Social in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing Ultimate Social you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.