How to remove Trustedsurf.com (Virus Removal Guide)
Trustedsurf.com (also searched for as “trustedsurf.com virus”) is a website associated with various browser hijackers that take over your browser’s homepage, new tab page, and default search engine. Once the trustedsurf.com hijacker has been installed it will cause your browser to start on the trustedsurf.com website when you open a new window. It will also cause your browser to redirect to trustedsurf.com when you search the web via the address bar. Searches made through the trustedsurf.com website will then redirect to bing.com.
If your homepage or search engine has been hijacked by trustedsurf.com then you must remove the associated objects on your machine or attached to your browser. Various unwanted programs and browser attachments can cause your browser to redirect to trustedsurf.com. To make matters worse, these objects can bundle with and arrive on your machine alongside adware, other unwanted programs, and malware. This is why we recommend to scan your computer for malicious files if your browser has been hijacked by trustedsurf.com. A good way to ensure this infection never occurs again is to purchase an Anti-Malware product like Malwarebytes with real-time protection.
- Pop-up, pop-under, banner, and in-text advertisements
- Browser redirects to trustedsurf.com and other websites
- Slow and sluggish computer
- Decreased internet connectivity, functionality, and performance
- Bundles with or is advertised alongside malware and other potentially unwanted programs
Trustedsurf.com (Virus Removal Guide)
This trustedsurf.com virus removal guide will help you remove trustedsurf.com, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer and browser.
- Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
- Step 2: Remove browser add-on and extensions
- Step 3: Remove Trustedsurf.com search engine
- Step 4: Remove Trustedsurf.com homepage
- Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
The first step to remove this browser hijacker is to uninstall all potentially unwanted programs and native applications from your computer if there are associated executable.
1. Go to the Control Panel on Windows Start Menu.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove a program) in the Programs section.
3. The Programs and Features window will open. This window contains a list of programs installed on your computer. Search for suspicious and unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once a program you want to remove is located, double click it to begin the uninstall process (or select the program and click Uninstall). To sort programs that were recently installed on your computer click the “Installed On” tab. This makes it easier to identify problematic programs that may have been contracted around the same time you started to notice symptoms of this infection.
Step 2: Remove browser add-ons and extensions
The second step to remove this browser hijacker is to remove native browser add-ons and extensions that can be used to change your browser settings. Once these attachments are removed the infection may be disabled from affecting your browser; However, it does not mean that the infection or malicious traces have been removed from your computer.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for suspicious extensions in the list and click the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for suspicious add-ons and click Remove next to each one.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for suspicious add-ons, select one individually with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for suspicious extensions in the list and click the Uninstall button next to each one.
Step 3: Remove Trustedsurf.com search engine
The third step to remove this browser hijacker is to manually remove the search engine from your browser. In some cases, this will be unnecessary because uninstalling the associated program and/or removing the associated browser attachment may automatically disable this setting and change it back to how it was before.
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove Trustedsurf.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove Trustedsurf.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Trustedsurf.com search engine to remove it.
Step 4: Remove Trustedsurf.com homepage
The fourth step to remove this browser hijacker is to manually remove the search engine from your homepage. This also could be unnecessary because uninstalling the associated program and/or removing the associated browser attachment may automatically disable this setting and change it back to how it was before.
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Trustedsurf.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Trustedsurf.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Trustedsurf.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
The fifth step to remove this browser hijacker is to scan your computer and remove detections with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software. This will locate and eradicate any existing malicious and potentially malicious files from your computer.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
The sixth step to remove this browser hijacker is to cleanup and repair settings on your computer and browser with CCleaner by Piriform. This will help get rid of junk files, registry entries, and disable features set by this hijacker and potential threats it may bundle with.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
If you are still having issues with malware it is recommended to download and install a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro by Surfright to remove leftover files and automatically repair corrupted settings.