How to remove TermTrident (Virus Removal Guide)
TermTrident (also searched for as TermTrident virus or Term Trident) is a very deceptive and intrusive adware type program and browser plugin that enters your computer system and attaches to multiple internet browsers without your consent or knowledge. It usually automatically downloads and installs in the background while you work on your computer, leave your computer idle, or browse the web. Once TermTrident adware has been contracted and it has attached browser add-ons and extensions to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari it will inject the webpages you visit with pop-up advertisements that commonly say something similar to “Ads by TermTrident” or “brought by TermTrident” on them.
What is TermTrident?
According to third-party download managers and software bundlers, TermTrident is promoted as a free program and web application that will show you coupons and deals related to the products you view and search for online.
TermTrident adware generates deceptive and intrusive pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari known as ‘targeted’ advertisements. These type of advertisements may violate your privacy because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you based off your current and past browsing habits.
TermTrident adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove TermTrident if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
How did TermTrident get on my computer?
TermTrident and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. TermTrident is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that TermTrident adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
[fancy_box title=”TermTrident overview”]
- TermTrident bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- TermTrident is usually bundled inside installers and downloaders distributed as dubious torrents or as freeware programs distributed by websites similar to download.com and softonic.com.
- TermTrident injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- TermTrident makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program is disabled it will enable itself.
How to remove TermTrident virus
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Option 1: Automatically remove TermTrident virus with Malwarebytes
- Option 2: Manually remove TermTrident
Option 1: Automatically remove TermTrident virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “TermTrident” removal tool[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing TermTrident we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove TermTrident.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove TermTrident
How to uninstall TermTrident
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for TermTrident in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click TermTrident to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find TermTrident in your list of installed programs but still experience unwanted pop-up ads you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it.[/note]
How to remove TermTrident add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the TermTrident extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the TermTrident add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the TermTrident extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find TermTrident in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it.[/note]
TermTrident virus removal tips
- If you do not find TermTrident in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing TermTrident you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.