Stop rusexy.xyz referral spam in Google Analytics
Rusexy.xyz is a referrer spam URL that targets Google Analytics with fake referral traffic and useless data. Rusexy.xyz referral traffic never actually lands on your website but will show up in your Google Analytics data. Rusexy.xyz referral traffic is designed to to promote websites that it forwards to. If you are affected by rusexy.xyz referrer spam you will notice an increase in referral traffic from the URL and others mixed into your Google Analytics data even though rusexy.xyz referral traffic never actually landed on your website. Referrer spam is not entirely harmful to your website ; However, referrer spam can ruin your website’s analytical data and be quite a nuisance.
Rusexy.xyz referrer spam and referrer spam in general from other URLs like copyrightclaims.org is a big problem for webmasters, website owners, and anyone who values their website’s appropriate analytical data. Referrer spam can ruin website data measured by Google Analytics. The website data it can have an affect on includes everything measured in Audience, Acquisition, and Behavior reports. For example, rusexy.xyz referrer spam can interfere with your bounce rate because the spam URL typically lands on a single webpage on your website and leaves your website from the same webpage. Referrer spam can also hit your website from sources around the world, from various resources, and more.
What is rusexy.xyz?
Rusexy.xyz is a referrer spam URL used to make it look like referral traffic hit your website from different locations around the world. The URL forwards to a questionable online store called AliExpress. AliExpress is a notorious referrer spammer and owns the domains used to forward to it including other domain names with sexually provocative titles such as lsex.xyz. There are hundreds of domains suspected to forward to the same online store.
The downside to spammy referral traffic is that it can ruin the appropriate Google Analytics data and other website metrics provided by third-party services. In some cases referrer spam via bots, crawlers, and spiders can use up your website’s bandwidth by creating repeated site requests. However, this is not the case with this URL since it primarily generates ghost hits that do not actually land on your website.
Referrer spammers target the referral traffic of your website for several reasons:
- Referrer spammers want to promote a website and want you to visit the webpage or search for it online through Google search engine results pages.
- Referrer spammers want to boost their rank on Google search engine results pages by creating backlinks. They do this by logging requests into your website’s access log, which is then crawled by Google’s indexing bots and seen as a backlink to the spam site.
Rusexy.xyz referrer spam is not entirely dangerous to your website. It will most likely not cause any trouble with how your website is accessed by your visitors or ranked by Google. In some cases referrer spam may use up your website’s bandwidth and CPU by creating multiple site requests to your website. In other cases, the spam URL is served to your analytical data by traffic bots which create ghost hits and never actually land on your website, which happens to be the case with this URL. They often target your GA ID number.
How to stop rusexy.xyz referral traffic in Google Analytics
This guide shows you how to block rusexy.xyz referral traffic in Google Analytics by creating an exclude filter that targets the campaign source.
1. Open your Google Analytics account and go to the Admin tab. Click All Filters.
2. Click the + ADD FILTER button to create a new exclude filter.
3. Add rusexy.xyz or something you can remember as the Filter Name.
4. Select the Custom Filter Type.
5. In Filter Field, find and select Campaign Source in the list. In the Filter Pattern text box, add rusexy.xyz and click the blue Save button on the bottom of the webpage. To add more than one URL make a Filter Pattern similar to this: rusexy.xyz | example.com | example.com | example.com