How to remove Sonic Search (Virus Removal)
Sonic Search is a cross-browser adware type program and browser application which has been recognized by reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware programs as such. The primary objectives of this adware is to redirect users to sponsored webpages and search results, and to bombard internet users withs pop-up, in-text, banner, and pop-under advertisements. The adware serves advertisements across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, and other web browsers from various advertising platforms.
|Name||Sonic Search, Sonic Search virus, Ads By Sonic Search, SonicSearch|
|Detection Type||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Short Description||The adware is promoted as a free search toolbar.|
|Symptoms||The user may experience unwanted advertisements and redirects in the web browser.|
|Distribution Method||This adware bundles with freeware and dubious files.|
|Detection tool||Download Malware Removal Tool|
What is Sonic Search?
Sonic Search is promoted as a free search toolbar for your web browser.
Once SonicSearch adware has been introduced to your computer it will obtain various personal details which it uses to formulate targeted style advertisements based off of your browsing habits. It gathers your browser history, bookmarks, and more to create ads it feels you are likely to click on. It can also modify your browser settings including your bookmarks, apps, homepage, search engine, and new tab in order to cause browser redirects to sponsored webpages and promote third-party software.
Sonic Search Removal Steps
Sonic Search can usually be uninstalled manually from your computer and internet browser. We have provided steps below to help you remove Sonic Search and other threats.
Step 1: Uninstall Sonic Search from Windows
Follow the instructions to uninstall Sonic Search and other programs from your Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computer. If you do not find Sonic Search installed on your computer but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Open Windows Start or Task menu and go to the Control Panel (or directly to Programs and Features).
2. In the “Programs” section click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove programs).
3. Search for Sonic Search, Chromium, and other programs in the list of installed programs and double click the program you want to remove to uninstall it. You can also select Sonic Search with your mouse and click the Uninstall button once it appears. Once you have uninstalled Sonic Search look for other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs and uninstall any if they are found. A general tip is to click “Installed On” to locate any programs that installed around the same time.
Step 2: Remove unwanted browser attachments
Follow the instructions to remove Sonic Search add-ons and extensions, as well as other attachments that it may bundle with from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer & Edge, and Apple Safari. If you do not find a Sonic Search attachments installed on your internet browser but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files. To remove Sonic Search from Microsoft internet browsers you must uninstall the program.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Sonic Search extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Sonic Search add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Sonic Search extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 3: Remove Sonic Search with Malwarebytes
Follow the instructions to remove Sonic Search with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.Download Malwarebytes
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
Step 4: Remove Sonic Search with HitmanPro
Follow the instructions to remove Sonic Search with HitmanPro second-opinion software.
1. Download and install HitmanPro second opinion scanner and removal tool.
3. Once Hitman Pro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button again to delete any threats or traces on your system.
5. If you are initially using the free version, to activate it, enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
6. Restart your computer by selecting Reboot.
Step 5: Clean and repair your computer with CCleaner
Follow the instructions to clean your computer and repair your computer’s settings.Download CCleaner
2. Once installed, open the program and go to the main Cleaner screen and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries. If you find any thing suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Finally, go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.