Software Refresher (also known as SoftwareRefresher) is an advertisement-supported potentially unwanted program (PUP) in the adware category of computer threats that is promoted as a free utility used to automatically update existing software on a users computer. Software Refresher utilizes very aggressive marketing tactics in order to infiltrate a computer with or without direct user consent. Software Refresher is detected as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) because of aggressive and misleading marketing techniques, programs that it may bundle with, and because it will serve cross-browser pop-up advertisements to the user after install.
There is a very long list of unwanted programs similar to Software Refresher, including Open Software Updater and many others that can cause issues for computer users and bombard internet users with unwanted advertisements while they browse the web. These tools are all promoted as free applications used to automatically update or ‘refresh’ existing programs and notify users when programs need updates; However, all of these programs are non-beneficial and offer no value to users whatsoever. Microsoft Windows users actually have the luxury of automatic updates and notifications without the use of third-party products. Most third-party programs also include automatic updates and will notify users if an update for their product is needed.
Potential Software Refresher malware primarily installs alongside other unwanted programs, malware, and malicious files. If you find potential SoftwareRefresher malware installed on your computer it is likely that other unwanted programs have been introduced to your machine and will also need to be removed in order to stop all unwanted activities from occurring.
How to remove Software Refresher
This Software Refresher removal guide provides steps to remove the Software Refresher virus, unwanted programs, additional malware, and ads by SoftwareRefresher on Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.
- Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 2: Cleanup and repair settings
- Step 3: Uninstall Software Refresher
- Step 4: Remove Software Refresher browser attachments
Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing Software Refresher. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the Anti-Malware program. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
4. Once Malwarebytes has been opened, if a scan or update has not automatically initiated, please click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to do so if prompted to.
5. Once the scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer after removal to completely remove detected files.
6. You can chose to visit the History tab and click Delete All to remove these files from the Quarantine log, although these files no longer provide a threat.
Step 2: Cleanup and repair settings
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall SoftwareRefresher using CCleaner, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the program in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
Step 3: Uninstall Software Refresher
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to gain access to the Windows 8 Start Menu. Windows 8 may also select Programs and Features).
2. In Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section (If you are using Windows 8 you will bypass the Control Panel).
3. In the list of installed programs, search for SoftwareRefresher. Once the program is located, double click the unwanted program or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. *Follow any on-screen instructions that may prompt to remove this program. Repeat the steps to remove additional unwanted programs.
4. Restart your computer.
Step 4: Remove Software Refresher browser attachments
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Software Refresher extension and other suspicious extensions and remove them individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Software Refresher add-on and other suspicious add-ons and remove them if located.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Software Refresher add-on, click it, and click the Remove button. Remove other suspicious add-ons if found. If the Remove button does not appear you must first uninstall associated software through the Control Panel.