ShowBox (ShowBox App) is a mobile app for Android and iPhone/iPad and computer application for Mac and PC that allows you to stream online videos to your device or computer. However, ShowBox is considered malicious by reputable malware research teams and vendors including Malwarebytes. The Malwarebytes research team has determined that ShowBox is a browser hijacker that can manipulate your internet browser. Malwarebytes claims that ShowBox can change your homepage (start page) and searchscopes in order to redirect your internet browsers to sponsored webpages of ShowBox’s choice. Malwarebytes also recognizes that ShowBox may bundle with malware and unwanted programs. It may also access your computer or mobile device using another titled than “ShowBox.”
If you find ShowBox installed on your computer or mobile device it is suggested that you remove ShowBox and other threats immediately to protect your personal information and device or PC functionality. To remove ShowBox it may be necessary to uninstall multiple programs and apps, remove multiple browser attachments, and scan your computer for existing malicious files. Once these tasks have been completed your computer or device should be free freom ShowBox, malware, and other threats that can spy on you and damage your machine.
ShowBox (Removal Guide)
ShowBox and other programs it bundles with can usually be uninstalled manually from your computer and internet browser. We have provided several steps below the article to show you how remove ShowBox and other threats. However, if you have clicked on any random ads or have been redirected to suspicious websites, your system may have been exposed to malware and other threats. To make sure your PC is completely clean and your information is protected from cyber criminals, we recommend that you follow all the steps below.
If you have issues uninstalling ShowBox from your Android device go to Settings > Security > Device administrators and remove the check from the box next to ShowBox. This can also be found at this path: Settings > More > Security > Device administrators.
- Step 1: Uninstall ShowBox from Windows
- Step 2: Remove unwnated add-ons and extensions
- Step 3: Remove ShowBox virus with Malwarebytes
- Step 4: Remove ShowBox malware with HitmanPro
- Step 5: Clean and repair your computer with CCleaner
Step 1: Uninstall ShowBox from Windows
Follow the instructions to uninstall ShowBox and other programs that it may bundle with from your Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computer. If you do not find ShowBox installed on your computer but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Open Windows Start or Task menu and go to the Control Panel (or directly to Programs and Features).
2. In the “Programs” section click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove programs).
3. Search for ShowBox and other programs in the list of installed programs and double click the program you want to remove to uninstall it. You can also select ShowBox with your mouse and click the Uninstall button once it appears. Once you have uninstalled ShowBox look for other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs and uninstall any if they are found. A general tip is to click “Installed On” to locate any programs that installed around the same time.
Step 2: Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
Follow the instructions to remove unwanted add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer & Edge, and Apple Safari. If you do not find unwanted attachments installed on your internet browser but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 3: Remove ShowBox virus with Malwarebytes
Follow the instructions to remove ShowBox with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
Step 4: Remove ShowBox malware with HitmanPro
Follow the instructions to remove ShowBox with HitmanPro second-opinion software.
1. Download and install HitmanPro second opinion scanner and removal tool.
3. Once Hitman Pro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button again to delete any threats or traces on your system.
5. If you are initially using the free version, to activate it, enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
6. Restart your computer by selecting Reboot.
Step 5: Clean and repair your computer with CCleaner
Follow the instructions to clean your computer and repair your computer’s settings.
2. Once installed, open the program and go to the main Cleaner screen and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries. If you find any thing suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. To finish things off, go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.