How to remove SelectTool (Virus Removal Guide)
Ads by SelectTool (or Select Tool) that appear across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Internet Explorer are caused by potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) in the adware category that often infect a computer system without user knowledge. Once these unwanted programs infect a computer and attach to affected internet browsers as add-ons and extensions they will begin to access user browsing data, which is used to generate pop-up and targeted advertisements it feels users are most likely to click on.
SelectTool adware may be promoted as a free tool or utility to view high definition videos and other media. However, users should beware of the symptoms created by this program and others like it. Not only do they generate pop-up advertisements, but they may use collected user browsing data for different marketing campaigns via email, postage mail, and other communication outlets.
Potential SelectTool malware is commonly known as the “SelectTool virus” even though the unwanted program is not a computer virus. However, the SelectTool virus is very intrusive before and after install, it modifies existing browser and system settings (including browser and system start-up protocols), and it primarily bundles with other unwanted programs, malware, and malicious threats that can cause further issues and will also need to be removed.
How to remove SelectTool virus
This SelectTool removal guide will help you completely remove the SelectTool virus, potentially unwanted programs, uninstall SelectTool malware, and get rid of ads by SelectTool on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 2: Cleanup and repair settings
- Step 3: Uninstall SelectTool
- Step 4: Remove SelectTool browser attachments
- Step 5: For Tech Support Call: 1-888-879-0084
Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing SelectTool. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the Anti-Malware program. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
4. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to do so if prompted to.
5. Click the Quarantine All button when the scan is finished in order to isolate and remove the files it detected and reboot your computer.
Step 2: Cleanup and repair settings
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall SelectTool using CCleaner, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the program in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
Step 3: Uninstall SelectTool
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to gain access to the Windows 8 Start Menu. Windows 8 may also select Programs and Features).
2. In Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for SelectTool. Once the program is located, double click the unwanted program or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. *Follow any on-screen instructions that may prompt to remove this program. Repeat the steps to remove additional unwanted programs.
4. Restart your computer.
Step 4: Remove SelectTool browser attachments
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the SelectTool extension and other suspicious extensions and remove them individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the SelectTool add-on and other suspicious add-ons and remove them if located.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the SelectTool add-on, click it, and click the Remove button. Remove other suspicious add-ons if found. If the Remove button does not appear you must first uninstall associated software through the Control Panel.