How to remove SeeWords (Virus Removal Guide)
SeeWords (See Words) is freeware that is included in the adware and potentially unwanted program (PUP) detections by most Antivirus engines. It is often referred to as the “SeeWords virus” but this program is not technically fined as one. However, the program is known to be a risk. It usually enters a computer system without user knowledge and it will inject the webpages users view online with advertisements including in-text ads that appear as underlined text, banners, and other types of pop-up advertisements.
What is SeeWords?
SeeWords is usually promoted as a free web browser utility which can be used to perform helpful tasks. SeeWords can be found as a Windows program that can be uninstalled from Windows Control Panel or as a web browser attachment.
SeeWords serves ‘targeted’ advertisements to users while they browse the internet. This is a privacy concern because targeted advertisements can only be produced by the adware if it has access to user browsing data, such as all browsing activities, bookmarks, app data, and browser history. This information is observed and used to generate advertisements it feels users are most likely to click on.
Furthermore, potential SeeWords malware primarily bundles with additional unwanted programs, malware, and other possible malicious threats. This means that it might be necessary to uninstall multiple programs from Windows and remove multiple browser add-ons and extensions from Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Many of these programs can not easily be found on a computer system without third-party security software.
SeeWords adware and the additional programs that it bundles with also manufacture new tasks and change existing Windows start-up settings in order to run every time the operating system starts and remain enabled if disabled by the user. Programs and browser attachments that may arrive with this deceptive piece of adware can also cause other issues for computer and internet users aside from pop-up advertisements, including browser redirections and a loss in computer functionality and internet connectivity. Furthermore, if SeeWords is manually removed, it is possibly that the adware or another one in its place will return before a week has passed.
How did SeeWords get on my computer?
SeeWords adware is usually contracted without consent or knowledge of the computer user alongside third-party programs and files, such as freeware, shareware, torrent files, and other free downloadable content. The potentially unwanted programs and files that deliver the adware can be introduced to a computer system and affected internet browsers with or without user authorization.
Computer and internet users who seek to download and install free programs and files online may be presented with an opportunity to accept or decline a ‘custom’ offer to install SeeWords adware and other programs during the setup and installation process. However, the request to decline SeeWords adware from installing is often presented in a very confusing manner. In some cases, the download manager may completely ignore the user request to decline SeeWords from installing and the adware will install against user consent and knowledge.
How to remove SeeWords
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Step 1: Remove SeeWords extensions
- Step 2: Uninstall SeeWords from Windows
- Step 3: Remove SeeWords virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner by Piriform
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-986-8411
Step 1: Remove SeeWords extensions
We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon on the top menu and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the SeeWords extension in the list. Remove unwanted browser extensions individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. Search for the SeeWords add-ons on the Extensions and Plugin tab. Highlight each one individually and click remove.
1. Click Safari and go to Preferences > Extensions.
2. Find the SeeWords extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Uninstall SeeWords from Windows
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. On Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. Search for SeeWords and other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once an unwanted program is located, double click the item or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. If you can not find this program in the list of installed program please see steps 3 and 4 below.
Step 3: Remove SeeWords virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install the free or full edition of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full edition of this program enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is only a free scan and removal tool.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Download Malwarebytes Free[/button][button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/?affiliate=23046&scope=checkout&cart=139724″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Buy Premium Now[/button]
2. Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Click the Scan Now button or go to the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. When the malware scan is complete you will notice a list of files it has detected. Click the Remove Selected button, then click Finish, and reboot your computer.
Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and install the free or full edition of CCleaner by Piriform.
[button link=”https://secure.piriform.com/502/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=https%3a%2f%2fwww.piriform.com%2fccleaner%2fdownload%2fstandard” align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Download CCleaner Free[/button]
[button link=”https://secure.piriform.com/502/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=https%3a%2f%2fwww.piriform.com%2fccleaner%2fdownload%2fprofessional” align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Buy Professional Now[/button]
2. Open the program and go to Cleaner and click the Analyze button. After files and have been analyzed, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Registry and click Scan for Issues. When the scan is complete click Fix selected issues… and then click the Fix All Selected Issues button.
4. Go to to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, all the way to Context Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Delete once anything suspicious is found to remove it.