searchprotect_8 (searchprotect_8 virus, Search Protect) is a browser hijacker that serves targeted advertisements and modifies existing internet browser settings, including the homepage, browser shortcut, and default search engine. This causes Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer to redirect to suspicious webpages, such as Trovi.com.
What is searchprotect_8?
Search Protect (searchprotect_8) is a free desktop application that saves your preferred browser home page, new tab, error page and default search settings so that they can't be changed by other software you download from the Internet. Search Protect may alert you if a third party attempts to change your default search or home page settings. When you reset your browser settings while installing Search Protect, they will be saved automatically on Chrome™, Firefox®, and Internet Explorer®. Further information can be found under the “Change of browser settings” below. Located on your desktop taskbar for easy access, Search Protect lets you manage your default home page, new tab, error and search settings at any time by clicking the “Settings” link in the Search Protect dialog box accessed via the System Tray.
- searchprotect_8 has access to user browsing data (browsing activities, bookmarks, and history) and can modify browser settings (homepage, new tab, browser shortcut, and default, managed, or provided search engine).
- searchprotect_8 causes browser redirects.
- searchprotect_8 serves targeted advertisements (including banner ads, in-text advertisements that appear as hyperlinked text, and pop-under advertisements).
- searchprotect_8 allows additional unwanted programs to automatically install without user knowledge.
- searchprotect_8 can bundle with third-party malware and malicious files without user knowledge.
How does searchprotect_8 get on a computer?
The searchprotect_8 extension and similar objects are commonly contracted alongside downloadable content, such as freeware, shareware, torrents, and other items. In many cases users may be given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install this adware and other programs; However, the offer to decline the object(s) is often ignored or presented in a deceptive manner.
Potential searchprotect_8 malware can also be contracted from questionable advertisements, most notably found on media sharing websites and websites that promote prohibited content. In many scenarios, questionable advertisements may claim that an update or other item needs to be installed in order to trick users into clicking the ads and installing potentially harmful content.
How to remove searchprotect_8
- Step 1: Uninstall searchprotect_8 from Windows
- Step 2: Remove searchprotect_8 browser attachments
- Step 3: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-879-0084
Step 1: Uninstall searchprotect_8 from Windows
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to gain access to the Windows 8 Start Menu. Windows 8 may also select Programs and Features).
2. In Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for searchprotect_8. Once the program is located, double click the unwanted program or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. *Follow any on-screen instructions that may prompt to remove this program. Repeat the steps to remove additional unwanted programs.
4. Restart your computer.
Step 2: Remove searchprotect_8 browser attachments
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the searchprotect_8 extension and other suspicious extensions and remove them individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the searchprotect_8 add-on and other suspicious add-ons and remove them if located.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the searchprotect_8 add-on, click it, and click the Remove button. Remove other suspicious add-ons if found. If the Remove button does not appear you must first uninstall associated software through the Control Panel.
Step 3: Scan your computer for malware
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing searchprotect_8. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
3. Open the Anti-Malware program after the program is installed.
4. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to install updates if prompted to do so.
5. Once the malware scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button and reboot your computer.
Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall searchprotect_8 using CCleaner, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the program in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.