How to remove SearchMoose (Virus Removal Guide)
SearchMoose (also known as SearchMoose Downloader or Search Moose) is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and website with a bad online reputation. Many Windows and Mac users have placed frustrations with SearchMoose and the website searchmoose.com, stating that the program and webpage have taken over their browser’s homepage and default search engine causing browser redirects to searchmoose.com, search.searchmoose.com, and other webpages without consent.
This program and website can affect popular internet browsers including Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari.
What is SearchMoose?
Searchmoose.com is a fairly new website. It was created on January 19th, 2015 and is based in Germany.
Publisher Description: Install applications the easy way and without the hassle, using the SearchMoose downloader. The SearchMoose platform stems from years of experience with installing applications, resulting in a highly optimized process, yielding faster downloads,
a better user experience and more successful installations.
SearchMoose is a network specializing in Mac software distribution, from download to successful installation, and as such, offering a better way for you
to reach the Mac software community.
Whether you’re a Mac software developer or distributor, SearchMoose’s optimal solution will help you get the results you’re looking for, providing you with
detailed insights into the installation process and better engagement with your audience, leading to higher revenues.
- SearchMoose may bundle with third-party malware, malicious files, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), including UniDeals.
- Programs and browser attachments associated with SearchMoose can read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
- Programs and browser attachments associated with SearchMoose can read and change your browsing history.
- Programs and browser attachments associated with SearchMoose can manage your apps, extensions, and themes.
- Programs and browser attachments associated with SearchMoose can manage your downloads.
How to remove SearchMoose.com
- Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
- Step 2: Remove browser add-on and extensions
- Step 3: Remove SearchMoose.com search engine
- Step 4: Remove SearchMoose.com homepage
- Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 6: Clean up
Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2.Navigate to the Control Panel on Windows Start Menu.
3. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove a program).
4. A list of programs installed on your computer will appear. Search for suspicious and unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once a program you want to remove is located, double click to begin the uninstall process (or select the program and click Uninstall).
Step 2: Remove browser add-ons and extensions
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the add-on, select it, and remove it.
Step 3: Remove SearchMoose.com search engine
- On Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove SearchMoose.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- On Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove SearchMoose.com search engine from the list.
- On Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to SearchMoose.com search engine to remove it.
- On Safari open preferences, go to the extensions tab, find search extension and click the Uninstall button.
Step 4: Remove SearchMoose.com homepage
- On Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove SearchMoose.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- On Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove SearchMoose.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- On Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove SearchMoose.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
- On Safari open Preferences. In the General tab, find the Homepage label and change the URL in the text field next to it to the URL you want to set as homepage. Open Preferences and click the Set to Current Page button.
Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
1. Download and Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the Anti-Malware program and click the Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
3. When the malware scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer to completely remove detected files.
Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
1. Download and Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Open CCleaner after it is installed and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, etc., all the way to Context Menu and click Disable and Delete once anything you do not recognize is found. This will help you locate and remove unwanted browser attachments and repair other settings.