Search Extension by Ask: How to remove the extension, malware, and viruses
Search Extension by Ask: Should I remove it?
Search Extension by Ask is a browser extension that can read and change your data on the websites you visit, read and change your browser history, change your search settings, manage your downloads, and manage your apps, extensions, and themes. The extension claims that it can help you find solutions to send text messages via your browser; However, it’s quite pointless since it only recommends third-party websites that can easily be found via a Google search.
Should you remove the Search Extension by Ask extension? It’s entirely up to the user to decide if they want to remove Search Extension by Ask. But be warned that the extension has a low trust rating and can gather a lot of information about you which can be sold to third-parties for unknown purposes the way mywot sold personal information. This event with mywot caused Chrome and Firefox to remove the once mistakenly considered “safe” browser extension from their repositories.
Once the Search Extension by Ask extension is installed it will replace your homepage and default search settings with a Search Extension by Ask search engine such as ask.com, search.tb.ask.com, search.mysearch.com, search.yahoo.com, or other. This will cause your browser to start on the website and redirect to it when you search the web using your address bar.
The Search Extension by Ask extension is also known to be advertised on websites alongside malware, adware, spyware, and other malicious threats. This means that if you found Search Extension by Ask attached to your internet browser without your consent or knowledge it is likely that your computer is infected with other malicious programs.
The extension is also promoted by other malicious browser add-ons and extensions, and adware. Adware infections will often direct a user to full-page advertisement that suggests you use the extension.
Use the guide on this page to remove the Search Extension by Ask extension and get rid of viruses and malware from your computer.
1. Remove Search Extension by Ask extension
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Click the trashcan icon next to the Chrome extension you want to remove.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Click Remove next to the Firefox add-on you want to remove.
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Select the Internet Explorer add-on you want to remove with your mouse and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Click the Uninstall button next to the Safari extension you want to remove.
2. Remove malware with Malwarebytes
- Open your browser window and download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Open the executable file (mb3-setup.exe) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
3. Remove leftover malware with HitmanPro
- Open your browser window and download HitmanPro.
- Open the executable file (hitmanpro_x64.exe or hitmanpro_x32.exe) to begin installing HitmanPro.
- Click the Next button, check “I accept the terms of the license agreement,” and click the Next button again.
- On the Setup page select “Yes, create a copy of HitmanPro so I can regularly scan this computer (recommended)” and add your email address to the registration fields to begin the free trial.
- Click Next to begin scanning your computer.
- Once the Scan results are displayed click the Next button and click the Next button again on the Removal results page.
4. Clean up and fix all issues with CCleaner
- Open your browser window and download CCleaner Professional or CCleaner Free.
- Open the executable file (ccsetup.exe or other) to begin installing CCleaner.
- Click the Install button to begin stalling the program.
- Click Run CCleaner to open the program when installation is complete.
- Select the Cleaner tab and click the Analyze button.
- When the Analyze process is complete click the Run Cleaner button to clean all files.
- Next, select the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button to scan for issues in your registry.
- When the scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues button and Fix All Selected Issues button to fix the issues.
- Next, select the Tools tab and click Startup. Examine each area, search for suspicious entries, and delete any suspicious startup entries by selecting the entry and clicking the Delete button.
- Next, click Browser Plugins and search each internet browser for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions. Click the extension you want to delete and click the Delete button to remove it.