What is Safer Surf?
The Safer Surf virus (SaferSurf virus, Safer-Surf-software) is a term used to identify adware that frequently installs to a computer and disrupts internet users with unwanted advertisements and browser redirects without direct consent. Internet speeds and internet connectivity will also become decreased, using programs on any Microsoft Windows Operating System will be restricted, and a user will become bombarded with continuous advertisements in a variety of different forms that pop-up from all corners of an open browser window once Safer Surf adware is contracted.
Safer Surf adware is specifically stubborn and obnoxious compared to generic adware. Aside from the noticeable drop in computer and internet functionality and advertisements displayed by this program, it is also very hard for many users to remove. Sometimes after users uninstall the program they will still experience unwanted ads brought by SaferSurf and similar advertising platforms such as RightCoupon when browsing the internet. These advertisements appear across most websites and multiple internet browsers.
Furthermore, the Safer Surf virus (although not technically a computer virus) rarely installs to a computer system alone. Most of the time potential Safer Surf malware will bundle with additional unwanted programs and advertising platforms. Additional objects will also need to be removed to stop all unwanted activities.
Adware that generates targeted advertisements also poses a threat to a user’s privacy. Most of the time the adware and associated programs will obtain permissions allowing them to access and gather user information for marketing purposes. Collected user information includes all browsing activities, bookmarks, history, and much more. Information can be shared with third-parties or used to serve the user with specific advertisements it feels they are susceptible to click on.
How to remove Safer Surf (Removal Guide)
This Safer Surf removal guide will help you remove the SaferSurf virus. Follow the 4 easy steps on this webpage to completely get rid of ads brought by SaferSurf and other malware on Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the Anti-Malware program. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
4. Once Malwarebytes has been opened, if a scan or update has not automatically initiated, please click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to do so if prompted to.
5. Once the scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer after removal to completely remove detected files.
6. You can chose to visit the History tab and click Delete All to remove these files from the Quarantine log, although these files no longer provide a threat.
Step 2: Cleanup and repair settings
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Safer-Surf using CCleaner, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the program in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
Step 3: Manually uninstall Safer Surf
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to gain access to the Windows 8 Start Menu. Windows 8 may also select Programs and Features).
2. In Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section (If you are using Windows 8 you will bypass the Control Panel).
3. In the list of installed programs, search for software titled Safer-Surf by Safer-Surf-software. Once the program is located, double click the unwanted program or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. *Follow any on-screen instructions that may prompt to remove this program. It may be necessary to uninstall additional programs.
4. Restart your computer.
Step 4: Manually remove browser attachments
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Safer Surf extension and other suspicious extensions and remove them individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Safer Surf add-on and other suspicious add-ons and remove them if located.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Safer Surf add-on, click it, and click the Remove button. Remove other suspicious add-ons if found. If the Remove button does not appear you must first uninstall associated software through the Control Panel.