How to remove WebSteroids (Virus Removal Guide)
WebSteroids is adware that displays pop-up advertisements on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer by installing browser helper objects (BHOs) onto a Windows Operating System and attaching browser add-ons and extensions to affected Internet Browsers.
Alhough this cross-browser advertisements-serving program is often referred to as the WebSteroids virus or Web Steroids virus, this program is not technically a computer virus, but instead is detected as potential malware or a potentially unwanted program (PUP) by most security vendors.
Once WebSteroids malware is installed, the adware program will being to gather user information and will use the collected use information to display target advertisements.
WebSteroids advertisements arrive in different forms. Some advertisements are pop-under browser redirects that take up an entire browser window or computer screen, in-text ads that say something similar to “Ads by WebSteroids” on them, or pop-up advertisements that appear in images and say “brought by WebSteroids” on them.
How does WebSteroids malware get onto a computer?
WebSteroids malware can be manually installed from a variety of locations, but the program primarily bundles with third-party freeware and shareware from websites such as download.com and can often be contracted from advertisements and torrents found on media related websites similar to thepiratebay.
Users are sometimes given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install WebSteroids software and other items during the installation process of freeware and shareware; However, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a very confusing manner.
How to remove the WebSteroids virus
- Automatically remove WebSteroids virus – Scan for and automatically remove WebSteroids and third-party malware
- Manually remove WebSteroids virus – Remove/Uninstall WebSteroids and third-party malware (if necessary)
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-879-0084 and they will kindly assist you with removing this infection
1. Automatic WebSteroids virus removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove WebSteroids and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
4. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
5. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall WebSteroids adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall WebSteroids and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for WebSteroids, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual WebSteroids virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall WebSteroids and third-party software using Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall WebSteroids
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for WebSteroids and other potentially unwanted software. Once the adware program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button. Keep in mind that WebSteroids may use a different title name than suggested.
How to remove WebSteroids add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove WebSteroids add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the WebSteroids extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the WebSteroids add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the WebSteroids add-on and remove it if located.