How to remove Videoconverter.freedownload-now.com (Virus Removal Guide)
Videoconverter.freedownload-now.com is a deceptive website that uses potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) and browser attachments including the Download Movie Converter extension for Google Chrome (and others) to replace a user’s current internet browser settings. Potentially unwanted programs and browser add-ons and extensions that cooperate with the website will replace the browser settings of each internet browser installed on the machine simultaneously. The home page, new tab page, and default search engine will all be changed to http://videoconverter.freedownload-now.com/?v=0.02 which will cause the affected web browsers to start-up on the website and redirect to the website when a search is performed in the address bar or a new browser tab is manually opened.
As previously mentioned, the website will employ potentially unwanted programs and browser attachments to change existing internet browser settings. To make matters worse, the programs and browser attachments that it employs are usually bolstered by malicious advertising platforms and rogue download managers. In addition, the advertising platforms and download managers will advertise and bundle the initial threat with other rogue programs, malware, and malicious files.
What is Videoconverter.freedownload-now.com?
Videoconverter.freedownload-now.com is a website that is associated with a browser hijacker infection. If browser settings have been replaced with this website it means that the computer is infected with a browser hijacker. The website acts as a search engine that grabs search results from different search engines. The website additionally promotes itself through a deceptive advertising network. If a website has embedded the advertising network users may redirect to the website without being infected with malware.
How did Videoconverter.freedownload-now.com virus get on my computer?
Potentially unwanted programs and browser attachments that change browser settings to this search engine typically bundle with free downloadable content. This includes freeware, shareware, plugins, and torrents. Downloading free items online can result in potentially unwanted programs, adware, and malware infecting the computer system. Even if a program is commonly used by many people and reputable (Google Chrome, Microsoft Word, etc.), if it is download from a malicious website or via an untrustworthy download manager it can lead to a computer infection.
Some advertisements embedded by various websites and third-party download managers may also claim that the program used to change browser settings or another program a user might seek to download is something it is not. The program may also be offered as a custom install which allows users to manually chose to accept or decline the download.
How to remove Videoconverter.freedownload-now.com virus (Removal Guide)
STEP 1: Remove unwanted extension
First, remove the unwanted extension from the compromised web browser. If you do not locate the extension proceed to the next steps.
- How to remove extensions from Chrome
- How to remove add-ons from Firefox
- How to remove add-ons from Internet Explorer
- How to remove extensions from Safari
STEP 2: Scan your computer for malware with Malwarebytes
Second, scan your computer for malware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
1. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan for malware and automatically remove malicious files from your computer.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
STEP 3: Scan your computer a second time with HitmanPro
Third, scan your computer a second time with HitmanPro to perform a second-opinion scan and ensure that all threats have been completely removed.
5. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan, remove remaining trace files, and automatically repair certain settings.
6. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
7. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
8. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
9. Click the Reboot button.
STEP 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
Finally, cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner by Piriform.
10. Download and Install CCleaner by Piriform to automatically cleanup junk files, repair your registry, and manage settings that may have been changed.
11. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
12. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
13. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
14. Make sure that your browser settings have been repaired by opening your affected web browser. If the browser was not repaired use the tutorials below to manually repair your browser settings.
How to manually repair your browser settings
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer homepage
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer search engine
How to manually uninstall programs
How to stay protected against future infections
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection to shield you from malware.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know