Update Required virus is an expression used to identify a specific computer infection that displays a deceptive and malicious message that claims an update is required. The Update Required message is essentially used to promote a malicious version of Chromium browser and Bing search engine that will display commercial content and sponsored search results.
Install Chromium browser and find what you’re looking for faster and easier with Bing. The fresh and intuitive Chromium browser with Bing search results are designed not only to help you find exactly what you’re looking for, but also make it easier to use that information to quickly get things done. Install Chromium browser and make Bing your default search and your homepage on your browsers (Apple to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer).
If you have noticed Update Required pop-up messages while browsing the web or using Windows Operating Systems it means that your computer is infected with adware and a potentially unwanted program (PUP). The adware and potentially unwanted program will not only display this deceptive message in hopes to trick victims into install a malicious program it will also observe and analyze all browsing activities once it has infected the machine. Browsing activities that this adware will observe include internet search terms, browser history, extensions, downloads, and other information. The data is primarily used to generate advertisements that it feels the internet user is most inclined to click on based on the things they do while they browse the web. This type of advertising is referred to as an aggressive and potentially malicious interpretation of “targeted advertising.”
Targeted advertising is common and not exactly a bad thing. Targeted advertising is a tactic that is employed by many legitimate advertising platforms and websites, including Facebook, Twitter, Walmart, Amazon, Google, and pretty much any website you go to online; However, if you are being targeted by adware authors and distributors it could put your personal data at risk of being used for other purposes. If an improper party has access to your data it can result in receiving unwanted and excessive amounts of email spam, junk mail at home, and telephone calls from potential scam artists, robocallers, and telemarketers.
A big concern with this adware is that it typically bundles along with other potentially unwanted programs, malware, and potentially malicious trace files that can remain hidden on your computer system. If you did not install Update Required but find it installed on your computer it is likely that the threat was part of a package alongside other malicious objects that should be removed as soon as possible.
Removing Update Required virus and other threats that come along with it immediately from your computer or device is heavily advised. This program has an awful online reputation and may be the sign of a more serious computer infection. To completely remove Update Required and other threats from your computer use the removal guide below.
How to remove Update Required virus
- How to automatically remove Update Required virus
- How to manually repair your browser settings
- How to manually uninstall programs
- How to stay protected against future infections
How to automatically remove Update Required virus
1. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to run a scan and remove malicious files from your computer.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
5. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining traces.
6. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
7. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
8. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
9. Click the Reboot button.
How to manually repair your browser settings
- How to change your Google Chrome homepage
- How to change your Google Chrome search engine
- How to remove extensions from Chrome
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox homepage
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Firefox
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer homepage
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Internet Explorer
How to manually uninstall programs
How to stay protected against future infections
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- Avoid visiting fake “spyware removal” blogs and websites that promote “spyware removal software.” These are usually malicious websites designed to phish your personal information, infect your computer with a rogue program and trick you into paying for rogue “spyware removal software.”
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know