Unfriend Monitor (also searched for as Unfriend Monitor virus) is an intrusive and fraudulent Facebook application that is detected as adware and a potentially unwanted program (PUP) by reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware programs. Unfriend Monitor injects the webpages you visit with user-targeted advertisements. Ads displayed by this adware will usually say Ads by Unfriend Monitor, Unfriend Monitor Ads, or brought by Unfriend Monitor on them.
What is Unfriend Monitor?
Unfriend Monitor is typically promoted as a free Facebook application that can help you monitor and alert you when friends unfriend you on Facebook.
Potential Unfriend Monitor malware generates pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Ads by Unfriend Monitor are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you and your current and past browsing habits.
Unfriend Monitor adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove Unfriend Monitor if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
Unfriend Monitor and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. Unfriend Monitor is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that Unfriend Monitor adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
This comprehensive Unfriend Monitor removal guide will help you remove Unfriend Monitor virus from your PC and get rid of ads by Unfriend Monitor on Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari.
Remove Unfriend Monitor (Virus Removal Guide)
- Step 1: Uninstall Unfriend Monitor
- Step 2: Scan your computer and remove Unfriend Monitor with Malwarebytes
Step 1: Uninstall Unfriend Monitor
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for Unfriend Monitor in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click Unfriend Monitor to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find Unfriend Monitor in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it.[/note]
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Unfriend Monitor extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Unfriend Monitor add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Unfriend Monitor extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Scan your computer and remove Unfriend Monitor with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “Unfriend Monitor” removal tool[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing Unfriend Monitor we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove Unfriend Monitor.[/note]
Unfriend Monitor virus removal tips
- If you do not find Unfriend Monitor in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing Unfriend Monitor you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.