How to remove Tampermonkey (Virus Removal Guide)
Tampermonkey is a popular user script manager and browser plugin and program that is used for a variety or purposes. However, if you have Tampermonkey installed you should be aware that it may perform tasks you find undesirable. Tampermonkey is often used to load sponsored third-party applications and programs in the background. Some of these programs are detected as potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) and malware by reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware programs, such as Symantec Norton, AVG, and Malwarebytes. Many users have also reported that the Tampermonkey extension is difficult to remove from internet browsers such as Google Chrome.
How to remove Tampermonkey
- What is Tampermonkey?
- How to uninstall Tampermonkey
- How to remove Tampermonkey with Malwarebytes
- Tampermonkey removal tips
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-986-8411
What is Tampermonkey?
Tampermonkey is a popular browser plugin and program that is used for a variety or purposes. It is typically promoted as a user script manager or browser add-on and extension that can help you log into third-party forums and websites or download programs and videos online.
Programs that bundle with or that are introduced in the background by Tampermonkey are known to display ‘targeted’ style advertisements. This means that the adware that this program bundles with will manufacture advertisements based off of your personal browsing data, such as your bookmarks and history.
Tampermonkey is not technically defined as a computer virus but this suspicious program is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove Tampermonkey if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
Tampermonkey and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. Tampermonkey is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that Tampermonkey adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
- Tampermonkey bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- Tampermonkey is usually bundled inside third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious torrent files.
- Tampermonkey can read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
- Tampermonkey can manage your apps, extensions, and themes.
- Tampermonkey can read your browsing history.
How to uninstall Tampermonkey
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
2. Open Windows Start/Task Menu and go to the Control Panel.
3. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
4. Search for Tampermonkey in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click Tampermonkey to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find Tampermonkey in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it.[/note]
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Tampermonkey extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Tampermonkey add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Tampermonkey extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Tampermonkey with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download Malwarebytes[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
Tampermonkey removal tips
- If you do not find Tampermonkey in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing Tampermonkey you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.
- If you need help our tech support team is standing by 24 hours a day. You can reach tech support at: 1-888-986-8411