How to remove SquareTrace (Virus Removal Guide)
The SquareTrace virus (also known as Square Trace virus, SquareTrace Deals) is a term used to identify potential malware or a PUP detected as adware, a browser hijacker, and spyware that primarily installs to a computer running the Microsoft Windows operating system and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension without direct user consent. The SquareTrace program is used to serve cross-browser targeted advertisements, which in return may create additional privacy relating issues for computer users.
Once SquareTrace adware gets installed onto a Windows computer, the malware will start to collect user information and will use the collected data to display target advertisements, deals, and offers across different websites.
SquareTrace advertisements are displayed in a variety of forms. Some are pop-under browser redirects that take up an entire browser window or computer screen, in-text ads that say something similar to “Ads by SquareTrace” on them, or pop-up advertisements that appear in images and say something similar to “brought by SquareTrace” or “SquareTrace Deals” on them.
This program, alike new adware in 2014, may not need to utilize a browser hijacker or browser add-on (extension) to display pop-up advertisements. This means you will need to completely uninstall unwanted software to stop unwanted pop-ups from appearing.
How does SquareTrace malware get onto a computer?
SquareTrace malware often bundles with third-party freeware and shareware downloads found on websites such as download.com and can be found in advertisements and pop-ups on media related websites such as thepiratebay.
When installing freeware or shareware online, users are sometimes given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install SquareTrace software and other items during the setup process; However, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a very confusing manner.
How to remove the SquareTrace virus
- Automatically remove SquareTrace virus – Scan for and automatically remove SquareTrace and third-party malware
- Manually remove SquareTrace virus – Remove/Uninstall SquareTrace and third-party malware (if necessary)
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-879-0084 and they will kindly assist you with removing this infection
1. Automatic SquareTrace virus removal
The instructions below are designed to help you automatically remove SquareTrace adware using the free or full versions of Malwarebyte’s Anti-Malware and CCleaner by Piriform.
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
4. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
5. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall SquareTrace adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall SquareTrace and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for SquareTrace, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual SquareTrace virus removal
The instructions below are designed to help you manually remove SquareTrace adware using generic Microsoft Windows removal steps.
How to uninstall SquareTrace
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for SquareTrace and other potentially unwanted software. Once the adware program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button. Keep in mind that SquareTrace may use a different title name than suggested.
How to remove SquareTrace add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove SquareTrace add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the SquareTrace extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the SquareTrace add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the SquareTrace add-on and remove it if located.