Snail Translator is a Trojan in the Rogue.Tech-Support-Scam family of computer infections that masquerades as a free utility that can help you translate content. Although the tool may work as promoted, Snail Translator displays a fake Windows Activation screen on Windows desktop in order to scare you into calling a rogue tech support number (1-877-330-4644).
When Snail Translator is contracted it will display a fake “Activate Windows Now” screen that pretends to be an alert from Windows. The screen states “You must activate Windows within 1 day to continue using all Windows features”. The alert does not mean that anything is wrong with the computer. It is simply designed to scare victims into calling the tech support number, which can lead to more problems.
If you click the Activate button the trojan will pretend to try and activate Windows and it will display another alert that says “Windows Helper is unable To Activate Windows Contact Support To Activate”. This message is just another trick to persuade unsuspecting users to call the rogue tech support company. The tech support company will try to sell the victim a support package license and will want to obtain remote access to the computer.
Snail Translator Details
|Names||Snail Translator, Snail Translator virus|
|Detection Categories||Trojan, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Symptoms||Fake notification alerts on Windows desktop
Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Quick Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malwarebytes|
How to remove Snail Translator (Removal Instructions)
These Snail Translator removal instructions will help you remove Snail Translator, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.