How to remove “Smart AD” advertisements (Removal Instructions)
Smart AD advertisements are caused by various ad-serving platforms that are recognized as adware by reputable malware research teams and computer security vendors. Deceptive programs such as PlayGem will cause advertisements that say Smart AD on them to appear in your web browser.
Smart AD adware will inject the webpages you visit in your browser with pop-up ads, pop-under ads that cover or take-up an entire browser window, and in-text ads that pop-up when you hover your mouse pointer over hyperlinked text.
Smart AD Distribution
Like most adware infections, Smart AD adware usually bundles with programs that are installed onto the infected computer. The most common way this happens is by downloading a program or file from a questionable distributor. Downloading items online such as freeware and torrent files will result in potentially unwanted programs infecting the user’s system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy, downloading it from a malicious site will lead to infection.
If the computer user has recently downloaded a malicious program, Smart AD adware might have automatically downloaded in the background without permission or knowledge of the user. The user might also be tricked into accepting the download under the guise of a program update. Malicious authors often hide the download behind a terms and conditions page, effectively tricking users into downloading adware. In some instances Smart AD may be advertised as an extension to improve the user’s browsing experience in order to encourage a direct download. Regardless of how the system was infected, removal remains relatively unchanged.
Smart AD Details
|Names||Smart AD, Smart AD virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Common Path||C:\Program Files (x86)|
|Removal Tool||Download Malwarebytes|
Steps to remove Smart AD
These Smart AD removal instructions will help you remove Smart AD adware, viruses, malware, and get rid of ads that say “Smart AD” in your browser.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.