How to remove ShopAtHome.com Toolbar (Virus Removal Guide)
ShopAtHome.com Toolbar (Browser Hijacker)
ShopAtHome.com Toolbar (also found as the ShopAtHome.com virus, ShopAtHome virus, ShopAtHome Toolbar virus, Shop At Home Toolbar, Spyware:Win32/ShopAtHome, TrojanDownloader:Win32/ShopAtHome, etc.) is
malware categorized as adware, a browser hijacker, spyware, and trojan (Source: Microsoft) that downloads and installs to a Microsoft Windows PC and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension with or without user consent.
Once ShopAtHome.com Toolbar is installed, the program will begin to change existing internet browser settings, including the home page, managed, provided, and default search engine. This causes unwanted browser redirects to www.shopathome.com, search.conduit.com, and other sites.
ShopAtHome.com Toolbar will also appear at the top of an open internet browser window and contain a search box and links to social media including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, as well as links to retail websites and others such as JCPenny, ebay, Walmart.com, etc..
The toolbar at the top of an open browser window may also contain suspicious advertisements promoting non-beneficial software with text that reads “Fix PC Errors (Free)” or text that promotes additional adware platforms and coupons for the visited website. The toolbar may also prompt third-party pop-up ads from platforms such as Plus-HD or LinkiDoo.
ShopAtHome.com Toolbar and similar items may change Microsoft Windows start up settings and corrupt browser shortcuts, which will also help the ShopAtHome.com Toolbar hijacker and third-party malware into reformatting existing internet browser settings. Furthermore ShopAtHome.com Toolbar may allow additional third-party malware to infect a computer system or install without consent including advertisement serving platforms (adware) and even spyware.
ShopAtHome.com Toolbar and related parties have been reported to collect sensitive user information including you IP address, your name, telephone number, home address, email address, and more. ShopAtHome.com Toolbar malware and related parties may even collect and distribute user information manually submitted into online forms while the Toolbar and third-party software is installed and attached to internet browsers, including usernames, passwords, credit card details, bank account information, social media relationships, and more. Cyber crimes relating to the browser hijacker category (though rare in this case) include credit theft, extortion, identity theft, and others.
Most victims of ShopAtHome Toolbar complain of unwanted email spam, junk mail, and even telephone calls from telemarketers. It has been concluded that this particular Toolbar and related parties will submit users to marketing and mailing lists without direct consent.
ShopAtHome is notorious for spam and the creation of fake accounts. *Update: After we published this article we began to get a lot of spam and on social media accounts such as Twitter from ShopAtHome.com employees. The messages sent from Travis Henry from ShopAtHome are entirely defamatory of our website and software we promote such as Malwarebytes; calling Malwarebytes, Norton, AVG, etc. as dangerous “very scary” software.
How does ShopAtHome.com Toolbar malware get onto a computer?
ShopAtHome.com Toolbar often bundles with third-party software including freeware and sharewarefrom distributors such as download.com and softonic.com.
In some cases users may have the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install ShopAtHome.com Toolbar; however the request to decline the installation is often ignored or presented in a colluding manner.
How to remove ShopAtHome.com Toolbar
- Automatically remove ShopAtHome.com Toolbar – Scan for and automatically remove ShopAtHome.com Toolbar and third-party malware
- Manually remove ShopAtHome.com Toolbar – Remove/Uninstall ShopAtHome.com Toolbar and third-party malware (if necessary)
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-986-8411 and they will kindly assist you with removing this infection
1. Automatic ShopAtHome.com Toolbar removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove ShopAtHome.com Toolbar and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall ShopAtHome.com Toolbar (Search protect by conduit) and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall ShopAtHome.com Toolbar and search Protect by conduit, as well as other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for ShopAtHome.com Toolbar, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual ShopAtHome.com Toolbar removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall ShopAtHome.com Toolbar malware and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall ShopAtHome.com Toolbar
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for ShopAtHome.com Toolbar, recently installed software, and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove ShopAtHome.com Toolbar add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove ShopAtHome.com Toolbar add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and additional third-party toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the ShopAtHome.com Toolbar extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the ShopAtHome.com Toolbar add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the ShopAtHome.com Toolbar add-on and remove it if located.
How to remove Shopathome.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove the www.shopathome.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the www.shopathome.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to the www.shopathome.com search engine to remove it.
Please note, If http://www.shopathome.com/ is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove the unwanted search engine by clicking the X next to it.
How to remove Shopathome.com homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove www.shopathome.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove www.shopathome.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove www.shopathome.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.