How to remove Search.tvnewtabsearch.com (Virus Removal Guide)
What is Search.tvnewtabsearch.com virus?
If your homepage has been replaced with Search.tvnewtabsearch.com it means that your computer has become infected with potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) and deceptive browser extensions. The browser hijacker infection uses objects like the TVNewtab extension for Google Chrome to make changes to existing internet browser settings. The infection can additionally spread across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Microsoft Edge & Internet Explorer, and other internet browsers installed on the infected computer simultaneously.
Objects that cooperate with the Search.tvnewtabsearch.com virus are usually bolstered by malicious advertising networks and rogue download managers. In addition the platforms and download managers will advertise and bundle the initial threat with other rogue programs, adware, spyware, malware, and malicious files.
How did Search.tvnewtabsearch.com virus get on my computer?
Potentially unwanted programs and browser attachments native to the search engine bundle with free downloadable content like freeware and torrent files. Downloading free items online can result in potentially unwanted programs, adware, and malware infecting the your computer system. Even if a program is reputable (Google Chrome, Microsoft Word, etc.), if you download it from a malicious website or via an untrustworthy download manager it can lead to a computer infection.
Also, some advertisements that are voluntarily utilized by various websites and third-party download managers may also claim that this program or another program you seek to download is something it is not in order to trick you into installing it. The program may also be offered as a custom install which allows users to manually chose to accept or decline the download.
How to remove Search.tvnewtabsearch.com virus
1. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan for malware and automatically remove malicious files from your computer.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
5. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan, remove remaining trace files, and automatically repair certain settings.
6. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
7. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
8. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
9. Click the Reboot button.
10. Download and Install CCleaner by Piriform to automatically cleanup junk files, repair your registry, and manage settings that may have been changed.
11. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
12. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
13. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
14. Make sure that your browser settings have been repaired by opening your affected web browser. If the browser was not repaired use the tutorials below to fix your affected browser settings.
- How to change your Google Chrome homepage
- How to change your Google Chrome search engine
- How to remove extensions from Chrome
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox homepage
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Firefox
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer homepage
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Internet Explorer
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know