Remove Pokémon Go virus
Pokémon Go virus is an expression used to characterize a malicious threat regarding an association with the popular Pokémon Go game. The term “Pokémon Go virus” can referrer to a malicious and rogue mobile app named Pokémon Go that claims to be the real Pokémon Go game, a browser extension that associates itself with the game, or something else.
The fake Pokémon Go mobile app is a malicious version of the Pokémon Go game. The game utilizes social engineering by tricking victims into installing it onto their phones and tablets under the guise of something it is not. In reality, the fake Pokémon Go app will conduct various unwanted tasks that will put personal information at risk.
There are also browser extensions for popular desktop browsers, like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, that claim to have some-sort-of relation to the game. Some Pokémon Go extensions claim to help players find more information about the game. Once one of these browser extensions is installed it will read and modify user browsing activities and settings. These extensions are typically known as browser hijackers. They hijack your browser’s homepage, new tab page, and search engine in order to redirect you to a search engine that they can generate revenue from every time you click an advertisement, sign-up for an offer, or download a program or browser attachment.
Pokémon Go virus can also referrer to rogue desktop applications and emulators for Windows and Mac computers. There are many fake applications and applications that bundle malware claiming to be the Pokémon Go game. There are even websites that claim to contain instructions on how to play Pokémon Go go on your computer, but instead force you to download malware and potentially unwanted programs.
If you are infected with the Pokémon Go virus it is up to you to determine which infection you might have. If your mobile device is infected with the Pokémon Go virus you will need to take appropriate measures to eradicate the rogue application from your phone or restore your phone to a date before it was infected. If your browser has obtained a malicious browser add-on or extension then you should remove the extension immediately and scan your computer for malware. If you downloaded a fake version of Pokémon Go on your computer then you should follow the steps to remove the Pokémon Go virus and other threats completely from your computer:
Pokémon Go virus removal guide
- How to automatically remove Pokémon Go virus
- How to manually repair your browser settings
- How to manually uninstall Pokémon Go
- How to stay protected against future infections
1. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to run a scan and remove malicious files from your computer.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
5. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining traces.
6. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
7. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
8. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
9. Click the Reboot button.
10. Download and Install CCleaner by Piriform to cleanup files, repair and clear your registry, and manage settings that may have been changed.
11. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
12. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
13. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
- How to change your Google Chrome homepage
- How to change your Google Chrome search engine
- How to remove extensions from Chrome
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox homepage
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Firefox
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer homepage
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Internet Explorer
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know