How to remove P2P Surf (Removal Guide)
P2P Surf Removal Guide & Description
This P2P Surf removal guide contains free steps to uninstall P2P.surf Client, remove P2P Surf extension, and get rid of viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer.
P2P Surf is promoted as a free peer-to-peer virtual private network (or VPN) that allows you to browse the web from different locations around the world. There is a P2P Surf browser extension for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox and a native program for Windows named P2P.surf Client. Once this program is installed and attached to your browser it will display an icon in the menu. If you click the icon it will enable the VPN and you can select a location to use from several countries.
Although P2P Surf may seem like a legitimate and safe program there are some concerns with it. For one, the P2P Surf extension has permission to read and change all your data on the websites you visit. This is unnecessary for a browser extension that contains a VPN feature. The terms of the extension state that the publisher will not sell your information; However, this does not mean that your information collected will not be used for a variety of marketing purposes of given to third-parties.
Another concern is that the P2P.surf Client program and extension for Chrome and Firefox utilize very unethical marketing practices that may bundle the program with third-party malware, adware, and potentially unwanted programs. If you are able to download the program or browser extension from the p2p.surf website you are safe from third-party threats, but there are some malicious software bundlers and distribution locations on the web that will bundle this program and extension with third-party malware. Some software bundlers may even automatically download this program without your consent.
In addition to these concerns the program and files associated with it are often detected by reputable Antivirus programs as malicious or potentially malicious. The p2p.surf website acknowledges this and claims that these are false positives.
P2P Surf typically bundles with other programs and files that are downloaded from a questionable source. Downloading objects online including freeware and torrent files can result in potentially unwanted programs infecting the user’s system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy, if you download it from a malicious site it can lead to a computer infection.
If the computer user has previously downloaded a malicious program, the adware might have automatically downloaded in the background without disclosure. The user might also be tricked into accepting the download under the guise of a program update or something else. Malicious publishers sometimes hide the download behind a terms and conditions page, effectively tricking users into downloading adware. In some instances P2P Surf may be advertised as an extension to improve the user’s browsing experience in order to encourage a direct download. Regardless of how the system was infected, removal remains relatively unchanged.
- Advertisements in the web browser
- Browser redirects to sponsored webpages
- Decreased internet speed and performance
- Decreased computer functionality and performance
- Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall P2P.surf Client and other unwanted programs
- Remove P2P Surf extension
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall P2P.surf Client and other unwanted programs
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for P2P.surf Client in the list of installed programs and double click it to initiate the manual uninstall process.
4. Once you have uninstalled P2P.surf Client, search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove P2P Surf extension
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the P2P Surf extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the P2P Surf add-on and click Remove.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.