If your internet browser is redirecting to www.only-search.com, you have contracted a browser hijacker that is detected as a Potentially Unwanted Program by most reputable Anti-Malware products. The Only-Search virus (although not a technically a computer virus) changes existing internet browser settings of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. This includes the homepage and start-page, default search engine, browser shortcut, new tab settings, and more. Furthermore, this will cause browser redirects to only-search.com and other questionable search engines.
The Only-Search virus causes affected internet browsers to redirect to www.only-search.com and other websites such as search.yahoo.com when a user searches the web using the browser address bar, opens a new browser window, or opens a new browser tab.
If the Only-search (onlysearch) hijacker is installed, a user may additionally notice unwanted advertisements, including disruptive advertisements that take up an entire browser window or browser tab. These are called pop-under advertisements. Other advertisements displayed by this program and associated parties include banner and skyscraper advertisements, in-text ads similar to Text Enhance that pop-up when a user hovers over hyper-linked text, and pop-up advertisements that appear when a user hovers over images with their mouse pointer. Advertisements on this website may also initiate automatic downloads.
Potential Only-search malware primarily bundles with third-party freeware and shareware distributed by websites such as download.com. It is also promoted by confusing advertisements, torrents, and other items on media related websites.
Users are sometimes given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install Only-Search software and other items during the setup process of third-party software; However, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a very confusing manner.
How to remove Only-Search
This Only-search removal guide will help you completely remove Only-search virus (onlysearch) and other malware from your computer to stop unwanted browser redirects to only-search.com and other websites.
STEP 1: Scan your computer for malware
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the Anti-Malware program. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
4. Once Malwarebytes has been opened, if a scan or update has not automatically initiated, please click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to do so if prompted to.
5. Once the scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer after removal to completely remove detected files.
6. You can chose to visit the History tab and click Delete All to remove these files from the Quarantine log, although these files no longer provide a threat.
STEP 2: Clean up and repair settings
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface. This will clean up unnecessary junk that may have been introduced to your computer.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything you do not recognize is found. This will help you locate and remove unwanted browser attachments and repair other settings.
STEP 3: Manually uninstall Only-search
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to access the Windows 8 Start Menu).
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Only-search (published by onlysearch). Once the program is located, double click it or select the program in the list and click the Uninstall button.
STEP 4: Manually remove browser attachments
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Only-Search extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Only-Search add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Only-Search add-on, click it, and click the Remove button.
STEP 5: Remove only-search.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove Only-Search search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove Only-Search search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Only-Search search engine to remove it.
Please note, If http://www.only-search.com/ is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove the unwanted search engine by clicking the X next to it.
STEP 6: Remove Only-search.com from homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Only-Search.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Only-Search.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Only-Search.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.