New Tab Assistant is a browser hijacker found in the Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) and malware category of computer infections. New Tab Assistant changes existing internet browser settings of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer, causing unwanted browser redirects and start-ups.
The main symptom of potential New Tab Assistant malware is that it will cause internet browsers to redirect to additional websites when a user opens a new browser window or new browser tab (hence the name of the program.) If an internet user is to search the web using the browser address bar they will likely be redirected to an unwanted search engine or website.
The New Tab Assistant extension for Google Chrome has permission to access your data on all websites, read and modify your browsing history, and manage your apps, extensions, and themes. Information collected by this program can be used to generate targeted advertisements, display sponsored links, and may also be submitted to third-party marketing lists.
New Tab Assistant also bundles with additional malware and PUPs, including adware such as Shopping Helper and other programs by Spigot Inc.
How to remove New Tab Assistant virus
- Option 1: New Tab Assistant Removal Software & Tools – This first option details how to remove New Tab Assistant malware using the free or full versions of Hitman Pro software and/or CCleaner by Piriform.
- Option 2: Manually remove New Tab Assistant – This second option details how to manually uninstall New Tab Assistant and remove unwanted browser attachments
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-879-0084 and they will kindly assist you with removing this computer infection.
1. New Tab Assistant Removal Software & Tools
Use the instructions below to automatically remove New Tab Assistant and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
Hitman Pro by SurfRight
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or purchase the full version of Hitman Pro software.
3. Once Hitman Pro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button again to delete any threats or traces on your system.
5. If you are initially using the free version, to activate it, enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
6. Restart your computer by selecting Reboot.
Your computer should now be clean of threats, tracking cookies, malware, and other unwanted traces.
CCleaner by Piriform
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall New Tab Assistant adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall New Tab Assistant and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for New Tab Assistant, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manually Remove New Tab Assistant
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall New Tab Assistant adware from Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
How to uninstall New Tab Assistant
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to access the Windows 8 Start Menu).
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for New Tab Assistant and other potentially unwanted software. Once the adware program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove New Tab Assistant add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions below to remove New Tab Assistant add-ons and extensions from Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. It may be necessary to remove third-party browser attachments.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the New Tab Assistant extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the New Tab Assistant add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the New Tab Assistant add-on and remove it if located.