How to remove My Cell Phone (Virus Removal)
My Cell Phone is a deceptive and destructive potentially unwanted program (PUP) that usually sneaks onto a computer system alongside other unwanted programs and malware. The program is known to be very difficult to get rid of. The primary symptom of My Cell Phone is that it serves advertisements across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, and other web browsers. It also changes the homepage, default search engine, and new tab of affected internet browsers. In turn, this causes affected internet browsers to start-up on and redirect to sponsored webpages.
|Name||My Cell Phone, My Cell Phone virus, 我的手机, 我的手机 virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Short Description||The adware is promoted as free browser toolbar with quick links to online content.|
|Symptoms||The user may experience unwanted advertisements in the web browser.|
|Distribution Method||It’s official page, freeware, third-party download managers, dubious advertisements and torrents.|
|Detection tool||Download Malware Removal Tool|
What is My Cell Phone?
My Cell Phone does not have a legitimate description on the web but similar programs and apps are usually promoted as free applications that can help you locate your cell phone. Even if My Cell Phone does what it is supposed to do, it is still a threat and can cause a lot of problems.
Most ad-serving programs and browser attachments have permissions set allowing them to read and modify all the data on the websites you visit, your bookmarks, your themes, browser history, and more. They even have permission to take control of your home or start page.
Here are two quotes from a common third-party adware policy regarding the type of information collected while using the add-on.
Collection of Non-personally Identifiable Information
→Non-personally identifiable information, which can be gathered by User’s use of this program (“Non-personal Information”). The actual identity of the User, from which the Non-personal Information is collected, is not known. Non-personal Information consists of technical information and aggregated usage information, and may contain, among other things, the User’s activity on this program, User’s operating system (…).
Collection of Personally Identifiable Information:
→Personally identifiable information is information that identifies an individual User, and may or may not be private or sensitive (“Personal Information”). Personal Information may consist of the User’s IP address or other persistent User identifier, which is unique to your device and assigned by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and used primarily to improve the User’s experience and for geographic personalization and security purposes (…).
If personal details are collected by or shared with a third party, the user may be endangered in several ways:
- Banking and credit card information may be accessible to hackers.
- Third party tracking technology may be applied to his browser.
- Excessive email spam, telephone calls from telemarketers and scam artists, and junk mail at home.
Furthermore, ad-supported software is known to:
- Generate intrusive or suspicious ads that redirect to predefined or compromised websites.
- Promote unwanted programs, malware, and rogue products that affect the system’s performance by altering the Registry, Scheduler, and other existing settings.
My Cell Phone Removal Guide
My Cell Phone can be uninstalled manually from your computer and internet browser. We have provided several steps below the article to show you how remove My Cell Phone and other threats. However, if you have clicked on any random ads or have been redirected to suspicious websites, your system may have been exposed to malware and other threats. To make sure your PC is completely clean and your information is protected from cyber criminals, we recommend that you follow all the steps below.
Step 1: Uninstall My Cell Phone from Windows
Follow the instructions to uninstall My Cell Phone and other programs that it may bundle with from your Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computer. If you do not find My Cell Phone installed on your computer but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Open Windows Start or Task menu and go to the Control Panel (or directly to Programs and Features).
2. In the “Programs” section click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove programs).
3. Search for My Cell Phone, Chromium, and other programs in the list of installed programs and double click the program you want to remove to uninstall it. You can also select My Cell Phone with your mouse and click the Uninstall button once it appears. Once you have uninstalled My Cell Phone look for other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs and uninstall any if they are found. A general tip is to click “Installed On” to locate any programs that installed around the same time.
Step 2: Remove My Cell Phone add-ons and extensions
Follow the instructions to remove My Cell Phone add-ons and extensions, as well as other attachments that it may bundle with from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer & Edge, and Apple Safari. If you do not find a My Cell Phone attachments installed on your internet browser but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files. To remove My Cell Phone from Microsoft internet browsers you must uninstall the program.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the My Cell Phone extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the My Cell Phone add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the My Cell Phone extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 3: Remove My Cell Phone with Malwarebytes
Follow the instructions to remove My Cell Phone with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.Download Malwarebytes
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
Step 4: Remove My Cell Phone with HitmanPro
Follow the instructions to remove My Cell Phone with HitmanPro second-opinion software.
1. Download and install HitmanPro second opinion scanner and removal tool.
3. Once Hitman Pro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button again to delete any threats or traces on your system.
5. If you are initially using the free version, to activate it, enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
6. Restart your computer by selecting Reboot.
Step 5: Clean and repair your computer with CCleaner
Follow the instructions to clean your computer and repair your computer’s settings.Download CCleaner
2. Once installed, open the program and go to the main Cleaner screen and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries. If you find any thing suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Finally, go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.