How to remove MegaPlayer (Virus Removal Guide)
MegaPlayer is detected as adware by reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware programs. The primary objectives of this adware is to redirect users to sponsored webpages and serve different variants of pop-up, in-text, banner, and pop-under advertisements on the web browser. The adware serves advertisements across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, and other web browsers from various advertising platforms. The adware is not essentially considered malicious, but it may cause several issues and bundle with other unwanted programs and malware.
|Name||MegaPlayer, MegaPlayer virus, Ads By MegaPlayer, Mega Player|
|Detection Type||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Short Description||The adware is promoted as a free media player, update, or codec.|
|Symptoms||The user may experience unwanted advertisements and redirects in the web browser.|
|Distribution Method||It’s official page, freeware, third-party download managers, dubious advertisements and torrents.|
|Detection tool||Download Malware Removal Tool|
What is MegaPlayer?
MegaPlayer is promoted as a free media player, update or codec by the publisher, third-party advertisements, software bundlers, and other locations.
Once MegaPlayer adware is contracted it will change your browser and system settings. It will create and schedule new tasks in Windows to run every time Windows starts. It will also hijack your homepage, default search, and browser tab settings in order to make you redirect to sponsored web pages when you open a new browser window or tab, or search the web using the browser’s address or omni bar.
The adware will essentially generate pop-up, pop-under, and in-text style ads on the internet and Windows desktop. Various user details may also be obtained to produce advertisements that specifically target you such as your browser history and bookmarks.
MegaPlayer Removal Guide
MegaPlayer can be uninstalled manually from your computer and internet browser. We have provided several steps below the article to show you how remove MegaPlayer and other threats. However, if you have clicked on any random ads or have been redirected to suspicious websites, your system may have been exposed to malware and other threats. To make sure your PC is completely clean and your information is protected from cyber criminals, we recommend that you follow all the steps below.
Step 1: Uninstall MegaPlayer from Windows
Follow the instructions to uninstall MegaPlayer and other programs that it may bundle with from your Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computer. If you do not find MegaPlayer installed on your computer but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Open Windows Start or Task menu and go to the Control Panel (or directly to Programs and Features).
2. In the “Programs” section click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove programs).
3. Search for MegaPlayer, Chromium, and other programs in the list of installed programs and double click the program you want to remove to uninstall it. You can also select MegaPlayer with your mouse and click the Uninstall button once it appears. Once you have uninstalled MegaPlayer look for other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs and uninstall any if they are found. A general tip is to click “Installed On” to locate any programs that installed around the same time.
Step 2: Remove unwanted browser attachments
Follow the instructions to remove MegaPlayer add-ons and extensions, as well as other attachments that it may bundle with from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer & Edge, and Apple Safari. If you do not find a MegaPlayer attachments installed on your internet browser but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files. To remove MegaPlayer from Microsoft internet browsers you must uninstall the program.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the MegaPlayer extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the MegaPlayer add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the MegaPlayer extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 3: Remove MegaPlayer with Malwarebytes
Follow the instructions to remove MegaPlayer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.Download Malwarebytes
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
Step 4: Remove MegaPlayer with HitmanPro
Follow the instructions to remove MegaPlayer with HitmanPro second-opinion software.
1. Download and install HitmanPro second opinion scanner and removal tool.
3. Once Hitman Pro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button again to delete any threats or traces on your system.
5. If you are initially using the free version, to activate it, enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
6. Restart your computer by selecting Reboot.
Step 5: Clean and repair your computer with CCleaner
Follow the instructions to clean your computer and repair your computer’s settings.Download CCleaner
2. Once installed, open the program and go to the main Cleaner screen and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries. If you find any thing suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Finally, go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.