What is LookThisUp?
LookThisUp (also referred to as Look This Up) is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and potential malware found in the adware class of computer threats by many reputable security products. LookThisUp is used to retrieve and attain user information, alter existing internet browser settings, and serve advertisements on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Possible LookThisUp malware and related programs, including supplementary browser add-ons and extensions often have permission to access and gather user information such as a user’s complete browsing activity and history, as well as information about bookmarks and browser themes. This information is utilized to serve targeted advertisements through multiple internet browsers and may also be submitted to third-party contractors (marketing and mailing lists).
Internet users may also come across unwanted browser redirects when opening a new browser window, opening a new browser tab, or searching the web using the browser address or omni bar.
Advertisements presented by this program are sent in many different forms and are often identified by text that says something similar to “Ads by LookThisUp,” although these advertisements may be served by additional third-party adware and advertising platforms.
LookThisUp has been found to relate with and package with additional third-party malware and PUPs during the installation process of third-party freeware sponsored by media related websites. In some cases a user may be given the chance to accept or decline an offer to install this item and additional programs: However, the request to refuse the offer is often ignored.
This LookThisUp removal guide will help you remove the LookThisUp virus and uninstall LookThisUp malware from Windows in order to remove unwanted pop-up advertisements and browser redirects on Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.
How to remove LookThisUp (Removal Guide)
This LookThisUp removal guide provides steps to remove the LookThisUp virus to get rid of ads by LookThisUp on Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer, as well as to remove associated malware and adware.
Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the Anti-Malware program. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
4. Once Malwarebytes has been opened, if a scan or update has not automatically initiated, please click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to do so if prompted to.
5. Once the scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer after removal to completely remove detected files.
6. You can chose to visit the History tab and click Delete All to remove these files from the Quarantine log, although these files no longer provide a threat.
Step 2: Cleanup and repair settings
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall LookThisUp using CCleaner, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the program in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
Step 3: Manually uninstall LookThisUp
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to gain access to the Windows 8 Start Menu. Windows 8 may also select Programs and Features).
2. In Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section (If you are using Windows 8 you will bypass the Control Panel).
3. In the list of installed programs, search for software titled LookThisUp. Once the program is located, double click the unwanted program or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. *Follow any on-screen instructions that may prompt to remove this program. It may be necessary to uninstall additional programs.
4. Restart your computer.
Step 4: Manually remove browser attachments
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the LookThisUp extension and other suspicious extensions and remove them individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the LookThisUp add-on and other suspicious add-ons and remove them if located.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the LookThisUp add-on, click it, and click the Remove button. Remove other suspicious add-ons if found. If the Remove button does not appear you must first uninstall associated software through the Control Panel.