How to remove LookSafe (Virus Removal Guide)
LookSafe (LookSafe virus, Look Safe) is a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) found in the browser hijacker category of computer infections that causes internet browsers to redirect to http://looksafesearch.com and other sponsored search engines. Often referred to as the LookSafeSearch virus, though not technically a computer virus, this infection is known to change existing internet browser settings of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer by use of browser add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs), and extensions.
Once LookSafe sofware such as LookSafe Utility is installed, the unwanted program will begin to corrupt browser settings including homepage settings, startpage settings, and default, managed, and provided search engines. In turn, affected browsers will start-up on and redirect to looksafesearch.com and other websites. In some cases, a new browser window or tab open without authorization.
Once software used to promote the LookSafeSearch.com redirect virus is installed such as a browser add-on or other unwanted software, the application may also begin to collect sensitive user information; including data manually submitted online ,such as your name, home address, telephone number, email address, browser activity and history, and more.
The LookSafe virus may redirect users to additional websites such as search.yahoo.com and is not considered a legitimate standalone search engine. Search results displayed by the search engine contain suspicious sponsored links and website results.
How does the LookSafeSearch.com hijacker get onto a computer?
Items used to promote the LookSafeSearch.com virus can be manually and voluntarily installed from a variety of websites including download.com; however, LookSafe software such as Look Safe Utility and others primarily bundle with third-party freeware and shareware.
Users are sometimes given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install unwanted software and change their home page and search engine to the LookSafe search engine, but the request to decline the offer is often ignored or represented in a confusing manner by the developer or distributor.
[fancy_box title=”LookSafe overview”]
- The LookSafe extension for Google Chrome can read and change all your data on the websites you visit and read and change your browsing history.
- The LookSafe extension for Google Chrome can manage your apps, extensions, downloads, and themes.
- LookSafe bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and possible malware.
- LookSafe can arrive on a computer system packed inside installers and downloaders from websites such as download.com, Softonic, and others.
- LookSafe injects visited webpages with pop-up, pop-under, in-text, and in-image advertisements.
- LookSafe makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks allowing it to run every time Windows starts and to check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program has previously been disabled it will enable itself to run.
How to remove LookSafe (Removal Guide)
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Step 1: Remove LookSafe extensions
- Step 2: Uninstall LookSafe from Windows
- Step 3: Remove LookSafe virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner by Piriform
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-986-8411
Step 1: Remove LookSafe extensions
We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon on the top menu and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the LookSafe extension in the list. Remove unwanted browser extensions individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. Search for the LookSafe add-ons on the Extensions and Plugin tab. Highlight each one individually and click remove.
1. Click Safari and go to Preferences > Extensions.
2. Find the LookSafe extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Uninstall LookSafe from Windows
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. On Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. Search for LookSafe and other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once an unwanted program is located, double click the item or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. If you can not find this program in the list of installed program please see steps 3 and 4 below.
Step 3: Remove LookSafe virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Open the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.
3. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. When the malware scan is complete, click the Remove Selected button and reboot your computer.
Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.Download CCleaner Free Buy Professional Now
2. Open the program and go to Cleaner and click the Analyze button. After files and have been analyzed, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Registry and click Scan for Issues. When the scan is complete click Fix selected issues… and then click the Fix All Selected Issues button.
4. Go to to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, all the way to Context Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Delete once anything suspicious is found to remove it.