How to remove Kovter (Virus Removal Guide)
The Kovter virus is a severe form of malware found in the ransomware category that blocks or restricts access to an infected computer system and collects user browser activity, history, and other data that is used to display a targeted message meant to extort currency from unsuspecting victims. The Kovter virus masquerades as the police, FBI, NSA, Department of Justice, and other establishments and uses victim information to display a message claiming that the victim must pay a fine for violating the law and other creative rights in order to avoid jail time.
Kovter ransomware uses trojan horses alike the FBI virus to initially infect a computer system. Once the trojan has accessed the computer, it will begin to perform many tasks. What sets this trojan aside from other ransomware infections is that it will collect user information used to display a specific message relative to the computer’s usage, while other ransomware infections simply claim to be a lawful establishment and that the user violated laws similar to child pornography, the distribution of prohibited content, computer negligence, and more. Although the Kovter virus may state the same false claims as other ransomware, this dangerous computer virus is designed to siphon information and display specifically suited content meant to scare victims into paying an unnecessary fine by use of online credit services such as MoneyPak or Ukash.
The Kovter virus uses a lock screen or webpage in order to block or restrict access to an infected computer system. On this lock screen cyber criminals will impersonate the police, FBI, and other institutions, and will leave a detailed message that claims the computer owner or user violated the law, therefore must pay a fine. Paying the fine will not remove this virus!
The lock-screen may also contain a computer’s IP address, geographic location code, and a URL of alleged illegal content found on a victim’s computer (if applicable). In some cases the URL suggested by the computer virus may be selected at random.
There are many variants of the Kovter virus and this computer virus is not geographically significant. It can affect most countries, but most commonly the United States. Fraudulent messages displayed by each variant of this virus are diverse and not specific. Most messages claim that the user downloaded and/or distributed illegal content including prohibited pornography or content protected by Copyright laws, such as pirated videos, music, and/or software.
This computer infection may also claim to encrypt computer files and may ask for a an exchange of currency in order for a victim to obtain a specific key that will decrypt files.
How to remove Kovter virus
- Kovter removal software (Automatic removal) – Detect and remove Kovter ransomware
- System Restore – Restore PC to date and time before the Kovter malware infection
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-879-0084 and they will kindly assist you with removing the Kovter computer infection
1. Kovter virus removal software
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or purchase the full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program and update the database if needed.
4. On the Dashboard click the large green Scan Now button.
5. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may state that potential malware or malware was detected. Click the Apply All Action button.
6. If files were quarantined, visit the History section and remove all files in the Quarantine selection.
2. System Restore
A System Restore is an easy solution to restore an infected computer to a date and time before it became infected with the Kovter computer virus. To learn more please select a link below:
Kovter virus removal tips:
If the Kovter virus is difficult to remove there are several steps you can use to troubleshoot the removal process:
Ransomware often infects 1 user account on Windows systems at a time. Here are some tips to remove ransomware by using different user accounts.
- Log into an account not affected by malware (with administrative rights) and perform a scan with reputable software to detect and remove malware.
- You can also delete the infected account.
- Other options include creating a new user account to remove malware if only 1 Window’s user account is present on the computer system.
Some variants of ransomware use flash and symptoms of the infection can be halted by denying flash via Macromedia’s real-time options. To learn more and deny flash please visit: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help09.html
Troubleshoot internet/network issues
Safe Mode With Networking can be used to access the Internet for updates, drivers, removal software, or other files if internet and network connectivity is compromised.