GreatZip (GreatZip virus) is adware that is promoted as a file archiver program for the Microsoft Windows Operating System. GreatZip utilizes deceptive and unethical adverting networks and platforms to essentially trick users into installing it. Once GreatZip adware is installed it will modify browser settings, cause affected web browsers to redirect to third-party sites, and display advertisements.
In some cases, the GreatZip program might be offered as a custom installation before you install freeware and dubious items like codecs, media players, and updates; However, the installation process will not allow the user to reject GreatZip from installing as the user requested.
It is important to avoid installing free programs online that offer this program as an installation because they are not usually safe to download themselves.
GreatZip is advertised alongside malware, adware, spyware, and malicious threats. This means that if you found GreatZip installed on your computer it is likely that your computer is infected with other malicious programs and files that should be removed to secure your safety.
According to Google’s VirusTotal.com website, the executable file used to install GreatZip called setup.exe is detected as adware, a potentially unwanted program, a suspicious program, and Trojan downloader by DrWeb, Malwarebytes, TrendMicro-HouseCall, VBA32, and Webroot.
Malwarebytes will detect files associated with GreatZip as PUP.Optional.MyBit and will block the program from installing in real-time.
A concern about the GreatZip program is that there is usually no way to install it via Windows Control Panel. It does not appear in the Programs and Features list or on Windows Task Manager for programs that run during start-up.
Follow the GreatZip removal instructions on this page to completely remove GreatZip adware, viruses, and malware from your computer.
Remove GreatZip with Malwarebytes
- Open your browser window and download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Open the executable file (mb3-setup.exe) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
Remove GreatZip with HitmanPro
- Open your browser window and download HitmanPro.
- Open the executable file (hitmanpro_x64.exe or hitmanpro_x32.exe) to begin installing HitmanPro.
- Click the Next button, check “I accept the terms of the license agreement,” and click the Next button again.
- On the Setup page select “Yes, create a copy of HitmanPro so I can regularly scan this computer (recommended)” and add your email address to the registration fields to begin the free trial.
- Click Next to begin scanning your computer.
- Once the Scan results are displayed click the Next button and click the Next button again on the Removal results page.
Clean up and fix issues with CCleaner
- Open your browser window and download CCleaner Professional or CCleaner Free.
- Open the executable file (ccsetup.exe or other) to begin installing CCleaner.
- Click the Install button to begin stalling the program.
- Click Run CCleaner to open the program when installation is complete.
- Select the Cleaner tab and click the Analyze button.
- When the Analyze process is complete click the Run Cleaner button to clean all files.
- Next, select the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button to scan for issues in your registry.
- When the scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues button and Fix All Selected Issues button to fix the issues.
- Next, select the Tools tab and click Startup. Examine each area, search for suspicious entries, and delete any suspicious startup entries by selecting the entry and clicking the Delete button.
- Next, click Browser Plugins and search each internet browser for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions. Click the extension you want to delete and click the Delete button to remove it.