How to remove GameCenter (Virus Removal Guide)
GameCenter virus is misused term used to describe a specific piece of potentially malicious adware that will create and schedule new tasks to run every time Windows starts. The adware display pop-up advertisements in an open web browser window. GameCenter ads can usually be identified by text on them that say “Ads By GameCenter.” In addition, the adware is known to bundle with other objects that will change existing browser settings. The browser homepage, new tab page, and default search engine can become corrupted by third-party objects that bundle with this adware.
Advertisements can additionally be served across third-party apps, like BlueStacks, and on Windows Desktop. GameCenter ads can be displayed across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, and other popular web browsers. GameCenter ads can be served as generic pop-ups, pop-under ads that take up an entire browser window, and in-text advertisements that appear when you hover your mouse over hyperlinked text on a webpage.
It should be noted that there is a legitimate and safe social gaming platform by Apple called Game Center. The platform is very popular and safe to use.
GameCenter Distribution Method
GameCenter primarily bundles with other programs that are downloaded by the user with out without their consent and knowledge. This usually happens when downloading a program or file from a third-party distributor. Downloading items online like freeware and torrent files can result in potentially unwanted programs infecting the user’s computer system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy, downloading it from a malicious website can lead to an infection.
|Names||GameCenter, GameCenter virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Quick Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malwarebytes|
How to remove GameCenter (Virus Removal Guide)
This GameCenter removal guide shows you how to remove GameCenter, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer in order to get rid of GameCenter ads in your browser and keep your information secure from associated threats.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall GameCenter and unwanted programs
- Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove this adware is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove this adware is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall GameCenter and unwanted programs
The third step to remove this adware is to uninstall GameCenter and other unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for GameCenter Supporting Application in the list and double click it.
4. Once you have uninstalled GameCenter, search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove unwanted add-ons and extension
The fourth step to remove this adware is to remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove this adware is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.