The Flybuys virus (also found as the Flybuys.com.au virus, Flybuys Search Engine, flybuys toolbar, Flybuys redirect virus, and other terms; though not technically a virus) is potential malware or a potentially unwanted program (PUP) categorized as adware, a browser hijacker, and spyware that installs to a Microsoft Windows computer and attaches to Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and in rarer cases Google Chrome as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension with or without user consent.
The Flybuys.com.au add-on and extension for Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer titled “flybuys toolbar” will appear at the top of an internet browser as an icon (pictured below). Once installed, the attachment changes internet browser settings including the home page (start page) and internal search engine (default, managed, and provided search engines). This causes internet browsers to redirect to http://www.flybuys.com.au/ (actual URL will vary) and start-up on the Flybuys search engine when users open a new window or tab.
Once Flybuys Toolbar (or similar) is installed the potential malware will begin to replace existing internet browser settings, install additional software, and collect sensitive user information; including data manually submitted online such as your name, home address, telephone number, email address, browser activity and history, and more.
Flybuys toolbar for Google Chrome has permission to access your data on all websites, read and modify your browsing history, access your tabs and browsing activity, as well as manage your apps, extensions, and themes.
Third-party reports suggest that if software that causes your internet browser to redirect to http://www.Flybuys.com.au and other websites is installed on your computer system and attached to your internet browser you are at higher risk of cyber crimes including credit theft, extortion, and identity theft.
How does the Flybuys virus get onto a computer?
Items used to promote the Flybuys.com.au redirect virus, such as Flybuys Toolbar can be manually and voluntarily downloaded from a variety of questionable websites including download.com; however, Flybuys malware primarily bundles with freeware and shareware, including aggressive installers that do not allow the user to cancel the software from downloading and installing.
Some users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install unwanted software and change their home page and search engine to the flybuys.com.au search engine, but the request to decline the offer is often ignored or represented in a confusing manner by the developer or distributor.
The flybuys toolbar hijacker can also be downloaded from the company website.
How to remove the Flybuys virus
- Automatically remove Flybuys – Scan for and automatically remove Flybuys and third-party malware
- Manually remove Flybuys – Remove/Uninstall Flybuys and third-party malware
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-986-8411 and they will kindly assist you with removing this infection
1. Automatic Flybuys virus removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Flybuys Toolbar and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
4. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
5. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall the Flybuys hijacker and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall flybuys.com.au supported software such as Flybuys Toolbar, Search Protect, Conduit Toolbar, and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for software used to support Flybuys Search, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Flybuys virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Flybuys Toolbar and third-party bloatware using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Flybuys Toolbar
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Flybuys Toolbar and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs to uninstall them or highlight the item in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Flybuys Toolbar add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Flybuys Toolbar add-ons and extension. Please note, it may be necessary to remove different attachments than suggested and multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Flybuys extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Flybuys add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Flybuys add-on and remove it if located.
How to remove Flybuys search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove Flybuys search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selection and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove Flybuys search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Flybuys search engine to remove it.
Please note, If http://www.flybuys.com.au/ is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove the unwanted search engine by clicking the X next to it.
How to remove Flybuys homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Flybuys from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Flybuys from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Flybuys and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.